20 February 2011

Star block

I have not yet started to join in quilt-a-longs or block parties for a few reasons:

  1. My stash of fabric isn’t very large
  2. I would worry if I have to complete a block on a deadline.  Don’t want to let anyone down.
  3. I don’t think I’m good enough yet.

However if I’m ever going to move on from beginner, I do need to start to learn different patterns.   I know that I could be considerably better at cutting accurately and sewing a true ¼ inch, so it’s no surprise that this block could be better.



It’s from crazy mom quilts' Star quilt along (week 11) , and whilst I may never do a whole quilt, there are several blocks I really love and will make to practice getting all those points and seams line up.   There’s quite a lot of puckering and at least 1 seam that’s not straight (OK, you can see a lot more than 1).  Not to mentions seams/points that don’t meet.   So, the three horizontal rows are going to be ripped back and redone until they look reasonably good.   It may get made into a pillow to match the quilt I am working on at present as it’s using up some of the same fabrics.

I really do love these stars (they are so dainty don’t you think?) but I also admire and aspire to anyone who can think this all up!   At the moment I’m strictly following someone else’s pattern or design.  I think I was at the back of the queue when they were giving out genuine creativity.  Who knows though, what I may achieve in the future…………

1 comment:

  1. I think this star looks fab! It took me ages to feel confident that I could really sew a good 1/4" seam and then somedays I still feel I can't!

    Thanks for the lovely comment on my profile page on my blog :) I only look young in that pic cos I'm smiling. Most of the time I'm very grumpy and look 109!

    ReplyDelete