20 April 2011

Is this right?

I only took up quilting since moving to the Czech Republic, so most of my supplies were sourced locally at first, then later through the internet.   I have always bought batting from a local shop which is clearly man-made (The batting not the shop, which of course is man-made).    But reading other quilters blogs, nearly everyone uses cotton batting, so I thought I'd explore some czech websites to see what I could find.  It didn't take me long actually to find something, so I ordered it and it was duly delivered.   

Never having actually seen cotton batting, I had it in my mind what it was going to be like.  I was expecting a huge parcel, and it wasn't.  I was expecting something light and soft and fluffy, and it wasn't.  It's like this


About the thickness of a coin, and looking and feeling like a good quality, thick woodchip wallpaper (if you can remember that).   Well, to be fair it's  softer than woodchip.   This is it compared with the polyester stuff I've used before.




So tell me, have I bought the right stuff?   I didn't read the description too carefully - it was listed with batting and it said cotton, but maybe I've bought ... I don't know ... quilters woodchip?   Here's the label



How does it compare with what you use?

5 comments:

  1. cant help with this Dianne......but am sure you're not losing your audience, i love reading your blog but maybe dont always comment enough....your quilts are lovely and i love that you tell us about the mistakes

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm no expert, but from what I've bought in the past I'd say, hmmm, well, the "woodchip" isnt what I'm used to, but the thickness, well, it comes in different weights (request, select, deluxe from what I've seen) so thickness wise I'd say you have there a light summer weight. I usually go for the slightly thicker, cos I like a bit of weight to the finished quilt. I think your "woodchip" might be down to the scrimming? Or needle punching? No idea what that is, or even if I've used the right word. I think basically its to do with how far apart you can quilt with it staying together and not bunching up in the wash. Some stuff says quilt up to 4" apart, or up to 9" etc. Do a mug rug and test it out! Read the details on the product spec for waddings on cottonpatch webpage, and I'll email you pics of the stuff I've got. If that helps!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haven't seen this brand - I think Vlisileine is the same as Vilene but didn't know they did a cotton wadding, I work in our local fabric shop and we sell one Vilene wadding which is 100% polyester and quite compressed.
    I mainly use 80/20 which is 80 cotton and 20 poly, and is pretty thin. The thin waddings are way easier to quilt with and the quilting can be left a bit more apart than on the puffy polyesters.Also great for small stuff and wall hangings and can also be ironed after quilting if you like flat look; polyester melts and goes a bit crispy. I never pre wash my cotton or cotton blends, they are meant to shrink about 3% so if you have prewashed your fabric you get an ever so slightly crinkled (antique) looking quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I use mainly 100% cotton batting and also have one that is 85% cotton 15% poly. I put my quarter next to them and they are pretty close to the same as the coin. So I think you are fine. If you are worried, cut off a small bit, stitch it between two charm squares (5"squares) and run a few quilting lines on it and wash it. It should come out fine.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks just like the cotton batting I use here in good ol' California! It's flat now, but when you put it in a quilt, then wash it, it shrinks a tiny bit and puffs a little bit, and you get the wonderful, soft, cuddly, crinkly goodness of an old-fashioned quilt.

    ReplyDelete