03 July 2011

Saturday sewing

Yesterday I managed to find time to do a bit of sewing, in between gardening, harvesting, and watching tennis.


On my "to do" list is to master the art of making labels.  I have a few quilts out there in the world, that still need to be labelled because previous attempts were pants.  It was better to leave them naked than send them out badly dressed.  SO I thought I'd have a go at doing one with my new machine.  I  had an hour playing with the programming, trying to fathom it out, and came up with these

Ignore the fact that the year is 20112 (I didn't quite now how to stop the programme at this stage - it was almost 201120112011 etc) and other small speelling mistakes, and the random butterflies that look like a pair of glasses.  We're looking at the concept here.  Does it look naff?   I favour the plainer writing, slightly closer together as on the top right.   Unfortunately in this font, Quiltova looks like Qulltover.  What do you think?  Do you write your real name or your blogger identity?

I wasn't going to start anything else until I'd tidied up the rest of the things I have outstanding, but I was looking through the Moda Bakes shop for something to do with my sherbet pips charm pack, when I saw this


and thought I'd have a go. The instructions seemed easy enough - Only time will tell!  This is how far I got last night  listening the Prague Proms from the Smetana Hall in Prague.






Watch this space

8 comments:

  1. I think it's definitely worth trying labels with the embroidery programme on the machine. I haven't tried it on this machine yet. I recently made my first quilt label using printable fabric. it worked really well, but I think embroidering the label would definitely be more permanent.
    I'd like to see how you go with the cathedral windows, I've been eying them off for awhile but a little afraid of trying them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the idea of embroidered labels. Great that you can use your machine for this. I would also choose the plainer writing. Your blogger name looks quite OK to me in this font.There seems to be only slight problem with the "i", so maybe after embroidering the label you could add a small stitch just to make the dot look more like a dot?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I prefer the plainer font to. It looks good and is very readable! And I will look forward to seeing more of your cathedral window project! I haven't been brave enough to try it yet!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am on the plain font bandwagon. I think embroidering them is a great idea. I have hand embroidered one label and just done some fabric pen labels recently - but everything else I have sent out into the world naked and unknown. Silly me! I didn't know things like labels in my quilting ignorance back then!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It won't let me respond to your emails again, thought I'd leave you a comment as I didn't want you to think I was ignoring you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't been doing labels. It's just not on my radar. The last quilt I sold on etsy, the buyer asked me to remove any label, so it was easy, since I hadn't made one.

    I'm looking forward to your pillow project.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oooh clever you and oooh cool machine features! Yup, agree with you, top right font, and maybe do the name in caps to quash errors - QUILTOVA...? Love the butterfly glasses! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like the idea of an embroidered label and plain font too! I label my quilts with my real name so far but they have been for family and friends and done with a fabric marker.

    ReplyDelete