03 August 2011

Recommendations please!

As I will be going to the UK this month in the car, we have space to bring loads of things back.  Top of the list is fabric, of course, but second is books.  (Well OK books are probably third behind PG Tips T Bags)(Or maybe 4th behind salad cream) (Or maybe.. no I need to stop there).  I am putting together a nice big order from Amazon, to be sent to a friends house.  There are already a few books on it but I would really love recommendations from you.  Categories are:

Quilting books with designs for beautiful modern quilts that I can follow.
Quilt books that will give me inspiration to design my own.
Quilt books that will teach me/help me to use colour
Crochet books - small gifts and things for babies/children
Recipe books for using up gluts of produce in the garden.
Any other good books that you think I really really must have and can't possibly live without.

I may even slip in a Kindle too, when no-one is looking!

Thanks

4 comments:

  1. OOOOH! My two favourites are City Quilts, and Japanese Taupe blocks. I've got half a dozen books on my wishlist that I cant exactly recommend as I've not got them yet, but top of my want list are boo davis and liberated quiltmaking II. I'll email links.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooo go for the kindle they are fab! And I couldn't live without my PG tips!!

    Books, I'm not to sure about I don't own many quilting books and I prefer cake recipes lol =D

    ReplyDelete
  3. have you seen the jane brocket quilting book....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok you asked for it.
    Here are my recommendations, but first I have to ask, what are PG tips?
    Quilting books:
    Last Minute Patchwork and quilted gifts/Hoverson
    Natural Patchwork/Koseki
    Fresh Fabric Traets
    Material Obsession
    Material Obsession 2/both are Kathy Doughty
    Fresh Quilting/ Dubrawsky
    Simplify/Roskelley
    City Quilts/already recommended

    For cookbooks anything by The Barefoot Contessa (Ina Garten) or Giada deLaurentis. They each have a bunch of books to choose from and all their recipes are wonderful/
    For beautiful fruit and vegetable recipes, but no photos, Alice Waters has two
    Chez Panisse Vegetables and Chez Panisse Fruit
    Jam it, Pickle it, Cure it/Solomon
    Artisan Breads Every Day/Reinhart

    Also check out the website http://www.purlbee.com/
    it is the primo spot in the US for all things yarn and fabric.
    Phew, I hope that wasn't too long of a comment!

    ReplyDelete