16 September 2011

Favourite things Friday

Gosh it seems ages since I last did a Favourite things Friday post.  What with holidays, visitors, tomatoes and now peppers, I have neglected my blogging.   Apologies folks - normal service will be resumed when the garden is under control!

I was in the lounge this morning, admiring my mug rugs for the Goodie Swap 2011 (yes, pathetic isn't it!)  when this lady caught my eye



She's there every day, and to be honest most of the time, I don't notice her.  But from time to time, when I'm least expecting it, she catches me out.    She is a Royal Dalton "Balloon Lady"  and I have known her as long as I can remember.  She belonged to my gran, and used to live in her front room (for non-english or younger people, the front room was usually the best setting room, not to be used every day, but just on high days or holidays, or more often than not, never).  When I was little, my gran lived with us during the week, but went back to her own house at weekends.  During school holidays I spent every Friday afternoon with her there - my dad would drop us off at lunch time, we'd spend the afternoon together,  then we walked back over the river meadows to where my dad worked, from whence I was taken home.   When gran came to live with us permanently, the Balloon Lady moved to her new home in my gran's bedroom.    Over the years, my brother, sister and I developed a system of coloured dots which we would mentally apply to the underside of various items in my mum's house - red for me, blue for Dave and green for Jean.   We told my mum that we did this to avoid any problems when she died!  Fortunately mum saw the joke, and thankfully there was never any arguments between my brothers and sisters when the sad time came.   The balloon lady came to live with us and now sits happily on the wall unit in the lounge.   When she does catch my eye, I always remember mum and gran.  

It would be nice if I had someone to give it to who I knew loved the balloon lady as much as I do, but no- we have no children, and none of my nieces and nephews have ever shown any interest in her.    Hopefully one of them or their children will take her one day, and give her a good home.   So long as she stays in the family!

So that's my Favourite things Friday. Bit short on photos but when you have one photo of a balloon lady, you don't really need any more!  I suppose I could've shown you a photo of mum and gran, but they are old fashioned photos, so I would have to scan them at work.  Maybe another time!

For other Friday Favourites pop on over to Shay at Quilting In My Pyjamas.

11 comments:

  1. What a sweet blog! I have a friend who inherited this figurine from her mother so the memories are much cherished.
    Parlours at my grandmothers' house were only opened during the warm seasons as it was too expensive to heat these rooms. Always an anticipation of summer and visitors because the rooms were open.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely blog post - and I love the Balloon Lady. My mum has her. Think I will go put a sticker on the bottom next time I am there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good to have something that brings back precious memories.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing this special favorite balloon lady and how she came to be yours. this seems to be a day for memories. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I's glad you popped in this week Dianne. It's always lovely to see you.

    I have a couple of small things from my grandmother that I also treasure. I love those links to the past.

    Although Doulton made a lot of these particular figurines they can actually be very valuable. I hope you're taking good care of her.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thats so sweet, it's nice to have something that reminds you of family.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love when something small like that brings back such sweet memories.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely post and I love those Royal Doulton figurines...they are so detailed. I hope some one loves her as much as you do.

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are my favourite kind of FTF posts, Dianne! Thanks for sharing your balloon lady and memories of your gran. Happy FTF! ☺

    PS...We still refer to our living room as the front room. My kids don't get it. ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely FTF its great to have something you have held dear to remember your loved ones by.

    ReplyDelete