10 September 2011

Goodie Swap

As a newbie to quilting and the blogging world, I have been keen to join in with a swap.  Well, half of me was keen, the other half kept telling me I didn't have time and I wasn't good enough.   But in a moment of weakness, on my return from holidays, when Sarah (you know, the one in the cupboard)  told me about this swap, organised by Cindy at Fluffy Sheep Quilting, I went straight over and joined up.   I think I was a little stir crazy, not having blogged or sewn for nearly 2 weeks, and knowing I wasn't going to get much done over the next week either.  It seemed reasonable - 2 mug rugs and 2 gifts in around  4 weeks.  But it didn't take long for the panic to set in - this happens to me a lot.  It never used to - I put it down to my age.  The focus of my panic was, in no particular order:

1.  I don't have time
2.  Everyone else will be better than me
3.  I can't design anything myself.
4.  It won't be good enough
5.  I don't have enough fabric
6.  My partners won't like what I've made


etc. etc.   You probably know the pattern.  Lying awake at 4 am waiting for inspiration is not what it's about is it?  So I applied myself to doing something concrete and positive, rather than worrying.  I started stalking, there learning the importance of telling the others about your self so that they can do the same.  I've not been very good about this though, and will improve next time I do a swap, I promise.

  I also looked through this little book which I bought in a charity shop for 99p when I was in the UK.



There are so many things in there that I would like to use in a quilt, but most have curvy bits, and I'm not up to curvy bits for other people just yet. For myself, I'll give it a try, but for others, no it's not fair!






But this one I thought I could use




So I pulled out a few colours, messed around a bit and came up with this

Charles Rennie Mackintosh - eat your heart out


Obviously it's still got to be bound, and it is straight, honest.  Well.... straighter than it looks here!   So what do you think partner No 1?
 
Then what to do for number 2.  Both of my partners have very similar tastes, so I was a bit stuck for colours.  I don't have a huge stash, but I managed to find a few similar but different, if you know what I mean.  I had a flick through some other books and came up with the idea of beach huts, which I thought sat very well with the colour scheme.   So here's number 2 waiting to be bound:
 

There also a little bit of applique there too, on the roofs - my first attempt ever.   So will this do for you partner number two?   Ooh that sounds nice, worth saying again.  Will this do for you partner number two.

So I think I have quelled my sewing demons for the time being.  I have made one little gift for my partner, which I will reveal another time.   Hopefully I can get some time this weekend to make the other one.   I have to get organised as we have visitors again next Sunday for a week.  I think I will be able to sneak in some hand finishing, but the machine will have to be put away again, and the dining room tidied (not to be used I'm sure but I have to make the effort!)

Last night we went to a "Dynobrani" in town which was good fun.  I tell you all about it later, but think pumpkin!
  

11 comments:

  1. Think those demons can be put away for good - these are both super and I hope (but don't think I am) I could be your partner.
    Easy to say don't worry about these but I fretted big tme during the DQS.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yep squish those demons down because those are both lovely! Love how you got inspiration from the book for no 1, thats something I am strill rubbish at... I would just see the colours and think nope not for me. But no1 is my favourite! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. They are both gorgeous, I think you should have proved to yourself that you are very good at making something wonderful for someone else. That was a great idea to find inspiration in the Charles Rennie Mackintosh book, I love those designs. Now I'm wishing I was in that swap!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You did a fab job and it should make you feel a great deal better that I haven't even entered my sewing room (except to record a podcast) since signing up for this swap. I have done the appropriate stalking and have a general idea of what I want to do but that is all. So girlfriend, you are miles ahead of me. Great job on the Mug Rugs. I think they are great!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. 1. you can do
    2. no they wont
    3. you can too
    4. yes it will
    5. I dont believe you
    6. yes they will.
    Sorted. And your own photos completely prove my point! (Is number one for me please?)

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are both wonderful designs, and your execution is lovely, you need to stop using up any of your sewing energy worrying and just sew more! I love that book too, excellent find.

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are wonderful and you are way more creative than me. I know what you mean about waking in the night worrying about your creativity for your partner. I stalk and I stalk and I still feel unworthy! I have one mug rug and ine goodie complete...now to the other...hmmm. Hopefully I will finish both this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You post is funny, intended or not. Love what you've made, and I'm sure your swap-mates will too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can understand your fears, I'd probably feel the same, but as we all can see you did great. I love both of them and I love your inspiration book, too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh they are fantastic! You more than stepped up to the plate. You stepped up and danced all over it. Incredibly well done.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh I have really enjoyed reading this post! The things you've made are just fantastic! Sarah is right in her comment. Partner # 1 really really loves what you made her!
    I especially love that it was Macintosh that inspired you. I am wearing a Macintosh design necklace right now! Thankyou so much for taking so much time and effort to make me something I love x

    ReplyDelete