05 October 2011

Aaaaarggghhhhh

The rotary cutter, the rulers, the pin cushion, the scissors, the cat - they've all gone out of the window.  Why?   I'm trying to teach myself paper piecing.   I did it once, when I joined in (a bit) with the Big Little George at Lily's Quilts.   I didn't really get it then, but the result was OK.  I always thought I was pretty good at spacial awareness, but this defies logic.  Back to front, upside down, inside out. For pities sake WHY?  Why would anyone want to put themselves through this?

But then I was doing a bit of planning last night for the upcoming Christmas Table Runner swap, and I found a picture of a border I would like to do.   (Sorry no picture - no Idea where it was now!)   This morning I dug out soem of my ugly fabrics, and  had a practice, and soon found it was impossible to do with normal piecing.   So I've tried the paper pieceing again.  

I've drawn up the pattern (forgetting the seam allowance across the bottom I have just noticed, but it's only a practice piece!)


And, with a few hiccups, I'm sort of getting the hang of it, but there is one problem with what I'm doing....


How the bloody hell do you get it to be straight along the grain?   I've found a few tutorials on You tube, but they all deal with straight lines and 45 degree angles, which this isn't.  Please can anyone point me in the direction of a good tutorial, or give me a hint of how to get it straight.  Because if you don't, the sewing machine will follow everything else out of the window!

Off for a soothing cuppa now!   (If I can find my way to the kitchen from here)

4 comments:

  1. lol Dont ask me, I'm so experienced I dont even understand your question!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love foundation piecing - never worry too much about grain but your problem is choosing a checked fabric. Carol Doak is undisputed Queen of fp - check out her website. I have watched her DVD and would recommend it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have the same problem when using directional fabrics. How do those Ringo Pie Bee girls do it a and get such perfect results? When you find out, let me know.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha paper piecing is not something I'm at all fond of at this stage. Good on you for giving it a go. I do know that as Sheila and Diane said, a fabric that is checked/striped/directional is not going to play nicely unless you've been paper piecing for forever!

    ReplyDelete