15 October 2011

FMQ Friday on Saturday

I just don't know what to do - on Friday I now have 2 things to blog about - Favourite things Friday, and FMQ Friday.  Both are equally good as I get to meet some new people who drop in to see what's going on.   So this week it was Favourite things Friday and Squiffy Sewing Saturday.   I might live dangerously and do it the other way around next week.  Who knows!

So here goes.  Last week Cindy at Fluffy Sheep Quilting  set us some homework.  We had to try some modern Art in the shape of tear drops.   Here was my first effort


I had real trouble making my teardrops symmetrical.  And going backwards, and filling the spaces and, you may notice, the "necks" of the teardrops vary from a single line of stitches to half an inch.  Go sit in the corner with the pointy hat with the D on it, Dianne (D for dunce not Dianne by the way)

Second shot, not so bad



But still not filling the spaces, and still struggling with backwards vision.   But I think there is a definite improvement this week.  The lines don't wibble and wobble quite as much as they did, and at least the square was squarer this week (apart from the wiggle on the right)

And this is what happens when you take no notice of  what the nice lady on the video says about keeping those loose ends out of the way at the beginning.


I'm off now to see how the rest are doing!  Good luck everyone with next week's slate pattern.

 

12 comments:

  1. Oh I think these are great and lovely and neat too! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. What I see is lovely smoothe curves - which many people fail to achieve with fmq - and regular well formed tear drops. I think you have done brilliantly well with this week's task.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think these look wonderful. I can't wait to see how well we all improve with next weeks homework!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are still being way too hard on yourself Dianne. Those teardrops look like teardrops and the curves are lovely and smooth.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're doing a load better than I do . FMQ and I are not friends at all. Great curves and a great job all round!

    How do you get to Carnegie Hall? Practice, Practice, Practice.

    (And I should take my own advice!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with comments above. You're being way to hard on yourself! You've made some beautifully shaped drops. If you look at the fmq on the video not everything is completely perfectly symmetrical etc even there. Good Luck with next week's pattern :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. They look great! Your second attempt especially. They totally look like drops, your stites are beautiful. Well done - keep stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You should feel proud and take the pointy hat off.... ha ha.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like it, at least yours are very clearly drops!! :) The second go looks really good and that backwards thing is still getting to me too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Teardrops excellent. stitches pretty good too. Well done you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think you get the prize for being picky Dianne - you see problems and I just see great FMQ!

    ReplyDelete