21 October 2011

Free Motion Quilting Friday - Part 3

Crumbs, it's friday already, and time to show n tell how we've got on in our latest FMQ practice.  This week's slate tiles was probably a bit easier than other weeks as it's more geometric than freehand.   I have had terrible trouble previous weeks getting the initial outline of the block anything like straight.  However this weeks was almost perfect - then I realised I'd still got the walking foot on, not the FMQ foot!   I think I could have finished the whole thing like that, but I suppose that's cheating a bit!

So here it is


Can you see that perfectly formed outer frame!   I got to the end of the first row, and the bobbin ran out.  Once I'd changed it, the tension went haywire.  This is annoying as my fancy machine is suppose to self tension.  But it needed re-threading top and bottom and then it went back to being OK again.  So the next row is rubbish.  But then I sort of got into my strike and I suppose, all in all it's not too bad.  However, I do have to concentrate, and if I start mentally patting myself on the back, well that's when I lose it!

Whilst I'd got the FMQ foot on, I thought I'd have a quick practice for some quilting I want to do on my Christmas table runner swap.   I want to quilt around each of the baubles, before I do some all over quilting.   Well that was Plan A , and I think I need a plan B



The first one, top right was with the FMQ foot - not exactly round is it?   Second one, top left was done with the walking foot instead.  Still no good,   The third one was also done with the walking foot on very slow.   This is still wobbly, and I don't want to ruin the table runner with crappola quilting!   So I don't know what to do now.   I could try hand quilting with perle, but I've not much good at hand quilting either.  Any ideas?

And have you seen what FMW pattern we have to do next week?    Again I think I could do this better with the walking foot! Please, pop over here and check out all the other brave bloggers

12 comments:

  1. I think you FMQ is good!
    The xmas table runner - will is not be easier when you actually have the outside of the bauble to follow? - Again I think the last one of these is good! Try doing some more practicing I'm sure you'll get there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE it, amazing! This is definitely your forte!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Try FMQ sketching. Where you go round several times and don't stay on the exact line each time. Judith does it well on her blog if you are looking for good examples.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting- looks like, where I got bigger as I went along, you got a little smaller!
    There must be an ideal size, possibly different for each of us, which we can find and then stick too? Like handwriting?
    Your squares are lovely and square though. Beautiful.
    As for the runner quilting, If there is a busy pattern, the wobbles on the quilting won't be noticeable, and if you are following the design on the fabric you may find it easier to get a good result? not knowing what the actual fabric looks like makes it hard to try to be constructive- but I love the idea of the quilted baubles.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think you did a great job with this pattern. I seem to do better with the curvy ones. I was thinking that next week's would be easier with a walking foot, but I suppose if I use the FM foot it will push me to work harder.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your tiles are nice and square. I had a hard time with corners. If there is any pattern at all in your table runner fabric, I think you will be pleased with your fmq. This practicing on solid fabric is pretty revealing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You did great - and as for the tablerunner it will be easier if you are going round the bauble rather than trying to imagine the shape - check out my cheat for these squares!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think your slate tiles look great! Definitely one of the best I`ve seen.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your tiles look fab! Really well done!
    I have better luck when doing circles several times over - quilting the same circle line over and over. It looks more rustic, but eventually you get a pattern going and it becomes circular with time. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think your tiles look great and I agree with about next week's pattern. I'll try it with the fmq foot as practice but I think it's an ideal pattern for a 'normal' foot :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. You're making good progress. I find that I MUST practice a FMQ design with paper and pencil before I go to the machine. Every time. I simply draw (doodle) the design I want to quilt so it's imprinted in my brain when I try it on the quilt. Try this before your next practice. And keep practicing--you get better every time!

    ReplyDelete