25 October 2011



I don't know about you, but I love books.  I love the crisp pages, the smell of a book, piling them up, arranging them in the bookcase.  Sorry, is there something odd about this?   There is a place for audio books (gardening, cleaning)  and for the kindle too (lying in bed, on holiday)  but they will never replace books.  And certianly not for reference books.    When I was in England in the summer, I came back with this lovely little pile.   Some were recommended by friends, some were my choice, and one was a gift from a friend who knows I have a bit of a mushroom fettish!

I thought I'd show you a little of each of these books as I use them, rather than first impressions.   So first off the mark is the top one Scandinavian Stitches by Kajsa Wikman.  





It's full of what seem to be fairly easy projects to get a beginner like me into machine applique. They are all in the same scandinavian style, which is very popular at the moment and a lot of these projects would make nice gifts.    Even if you don't make anything, it's a very nice book to browse through.





 


I've made one of the little houses as a small decoration to send to my partner in the Christmas Table Runner swap. 


And I've just got to have a go at the picture of the house with the washing blowing in the wind.    

If you're an experienced sewer, I don't think this book is going to teach you anthing new, but even so, it is cute!

5 comments:

  1. After a lifetime of being a bookworm, my husband is now a confirmed, born-again Kindle user but he only reads novels. I love books too, and am happy that our crafting books will never translate to Kindle.
    I love your wee house and can see the one with the washing line as a mugrug.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing this.
    I love books too. I like my Kindle very much and I listen to audiobooks when I'm sewing or drawing, but you are right that nothing can replace the feel and smell of a real book. I don't really have many reference books (and no quilting books yet, although there are some I'd love to get) but I have a small collection of picture books and I can't imagine having them just in electronic form.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great little house! I love books too our house is full of them! I agree though, I love my kindle for general reading but can't imagine trying to use it for craft/sew/cook books! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love books too. I need to use audiobooks for fiction now (otherwise I just fall asleep!). Love wee housey!

    ReplyDelete
  5. If I won the lottery I would buy books when I wanted, as often as I wanted, and books that I tell myself I can't afford right now would be mine all mine. Then I would buy a house big enough for all of them. I might make sure there was space for the family but I would have books, books and more books!

    ReplyDelete