28 October 2011

In-two-minds Friday

The problem with Fridays is that I like to join in with Favourite things Friday with Shay at Quilting in my Pyjamas, and I also like to practice my Free Moition Quilting with Cindy at Fluffy Sheep Quilting.   So today I aim to both, quickly as I don't have much time.  Please excuse me if it's bad!

First of all my Favourite thing today is that I heard that my nephew, my brothers youngest, and his girlfriend, are having a baby.   It was a total surprise, but I am soooo thrilled for them.  They are a lovely, sweet couple (men hate it when you say sweet, but they are).   I am surprised because the pair of them only qualified as nurses last year, so I'm surprised they can afford it!   So that's 4 babies due between now and the end of April.  Add another quilt to the winter stitching list - Am I going to have fun!

And now onto my free motion quilting - Bright Star this week.   One of my blog readers suggested drawing it out first.  I'm not sure if it helped or not


I don't think there's much hope of sewing a straight line if I can't draw one.  One the left, the first try, is mucho wobbly.  I went faster on the second, and the lines came out much better.


A few wobbly lines to the bottom right, but overall not bad.   The lines don't meet in the middle though!  It looks much better if you screw  your eyes up as you look at it!  

The machine wasn't happy though,because I was using some rubbishy fabric.  It was making some odd klunky noises, and I really didn't have time to stop and mess with it.  The stitches don't look too bad from a distance, but close up they aren't very good, and the back is terrible. 



If I have time during the week, I'll have another go with some better fabric.

Hope the rest of you Friday FMQers are getting on better than me!

11 comments:

  1. I think your FMQ'ing looks good! Theres only 1 wobble at the bottom! :)
    Congrats to your nephew!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations to your nephew!

    I think your lines look fine, except the wobble in the bottom right. Your travel stitching is excellent. Much better than mine. It will be interesting to see how we all do on next week's pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you are being way too hard on yourself and that you are doing really well. I've never tried to FMQ straight lines. Doesn't make sense to me so I would cheat!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh how blessed you are - four babies to cherish! I think your fmq turned out very well!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on the baby news for your nephew and gf! Kudos to you for practicing your FMQ! (Something I always say I'm going to do but can't seem to make myself do it...maybe if I had a set time like you do?) I think your practice turned out well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. FMQ looks really good Di! And congrats on the baby news :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. how fun for your nephew and his wife! four babies! you better get to work sewing dianne! ;) your fmq looks really great!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So you're going to be a great aunt! Congratulations. Babies are always lots of fun and sewing for my grandson was a definite favourite while I was waiting for him to make his appearance.

    I think your practice FMQ looks pretty darn good for a first attempt at that design. (Despite our conversations I still havent practiced!)

    ReplyDelete
  9. You're making me laugh! I think you're underestimating your Star porential. They look really great. Marking/drawing really paid off. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. sorry, I think your edges are very neat, and your rays well spaced. And I hope you enjoy all the quilts you will be making for those babies!

    ReplyDelete