22 October 2011

Numpty alert, numpty alert

Oh partner, I was sooo pleased with how your table runner was coming along.   I've done a paper pieced border, and wonky starts, and the top is now finished, ready for some appliqued baubles.


I'm so proud of that border.  It took ages drawing it up, then making it and even though I say so myself, it's pretty much perfect.    And now it's got to come off - all of it.  I don't know why I didn't think of this earlier, or why I did think of it at 6 am today, but I never thought to check if the fabric is colour-fast.  The fabric from America is reliably colour fast, and I've become a little lazy about checking it.  But this is Czech fabric, and that's not so reliable.  Guess what - it leaks out red dye like, erm well like,  red dye leaking out of a piece of red fabric!.   At first I put a scrap in some boiling water straight from the kettle, but thought perhaps I wasn't giving it a fair chance as not many of us wash at 100 degrees. So I tried some at 40 degrees and it unfortunately it still ran.  So tomorrow it comes apart, and I will have to rethink the border.  Not sure if I have the strength of character to do it all over again.   And I have no other red fabric, so it's going to have to be green, or dotty, or something similar.

Going off to sulk now!

9 comments:

  1. Aww nooo! Thats rubbish! Maybe your partner will just never want to wash it?! Hope you manage to find a suitable alternative.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yikes, that is too bad. A green border would work as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Red fabric should come with a warning flag!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Say it isn't so! That sucks! But it is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aaaarrgh! Thats so crap it simultaneously SUCKS and BLOWS...
    Good luck sorting that out. Deep breaths. Hugs! x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I feel your pain. I've ruined a quilt that way. Bugger!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh man that really stinks. Seriously! STINKS!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Poor thing. Tell you what, if it's for me leave it as is and if it runs and turns pink my 5 girls will be delighted ... it's there favourate colour !!

    ReplyDelete