Today was a first for me - the first time I have had a tooth drilled and filled WITHOUT ANAESTHIC! Yes, it's true. But before you think I'm super woman, I will add that this was the final stage of a root canal filling (Gosh, I've heard that so many times on American telly programmes, but never thought I'd get to say it myself!) and the tooth no longer has any nerves, and so, no feeling. But it was wrong, totally wrong in every way. I was waiting for the pain to hit me and for me to hit the ceiling. But it didn't. Just a bit when he drilled right up into the top of my head to fit the post. So do I get my brave little soldier badge?
Then I drove Gordie to the airport in Vienna - always a bit stressful, but no wrong turns today!
And now I have 2 days with no responsibilities, other than walking the dogs, and feeding all of us. So this afternoon I've tried to make some progress on my Modern Christmas Table Runner. I'm trying to use this as a reason to push myself to do things outside my comfort zone.
So we have the borders
Paper pieced, no less. I've got this sussed now. All you have to do is, before you start, remove your head and re-fit it upside-down and back-to-front. It's easy peasy then.
Here's one I made earlier
I was quite slow at first - one side of 4 points took me a whole rugby world cup semi final. I speeded up and one longer side took me a rugby world cup semi-final plus a bit more. Then I ran out of world cup semi-finals, so I'm not sure how long the other two sides took. I was getting on really well, but pride comes before a fall. On the last side I managed to iron the sellotape holding the paper pieces together, I sewed one piece on upside down, m cut through the paper template and cut through the main piece when trying to trim the excess! But it's finished now thank goodness. I will try paper piecing again, but it will have to be a bit more challenging than just a row of points, repeated endlessly. It got very boring.
I've also tried out a bit of applique, which also went quite well.
This is the first try on some ugly fabric!
Actually the ugly fabric worked quite well, but it is more orangey than it looks here, and orange doesn't figure in the table runner. I really like that embroidery though. It would be even better if it was straight!
And another test piece using real fabric
Sorry about the threads. I was in such a sweat to record my success, I clean forgot to make it look tidy. Ah well, it's only practice.
So, I have a full day tomorrow which I can potentially devote to sewing. You watch something come and rain on my parade!