08 October 2011

Wibble Wobble

I've joined in with Free Motion Friday with Cindy at Fluffy Sheep Quilting.   What bit of FMQ I have done I have really enjoyed, but I do have problems with stitch length and control.  So I though the practice would do me good and get me away from just doing the meandering thing.  So here it is.

Firstly the square outline was a challenge!

Can you see the wobbles where I moved my hands

This is the first attempt


I cheated a bit at first.  I just couldn't relate to going backwards, or sideways, so I kept on turning the piece.  Which is OK when it's small, but I couldn't do it with a quilt could I?  So then I did a backwards row - can you see where the big wiggle is?

This is the second attempt.


This one is actually worse than the first, but at least I went backwards.  Still keep taking a hand off without stopping though.

Off to psych myself up for the next one - tear drops or something.   I think I need to practice that one first with paper and pencil


I'm linking up with all the other idiots brave souls having a go at this, so why not hop over and see how we're all doing

10 comments:

  1. I don't think they are terrible for first attempts! Much better than mine would be! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think they are great! Give yourself a break. If you stick with it you will be amazed at your progress.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you should be proud of yourself. You have done a good first try, as good as most of us. Your stitches look nice and even too. I too find it easier to turn the fabric- look forward to getting better...

    ReplyDelete
  4. hehehe they're not terrible at all! Your stitches are all of a similar size and thats good going :-) And I couldnt possible criticise as I didnt get round to joining in this week.... next week tho...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think the second one is well done! Stop being so hard on yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think you are being too hard on yourself too. Just relax and keep practicing. It's amazing what a bit of practice can do to your confidence!
    For first attempts they are really good.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think you are being far too self deprecating. This is looking really good! Good luck with the drop art (hopefully no tears):)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my goodness you and I had the same experience! I couldn't get the exterior square on to save my life, then was doing the same flipping of the scrap. We'll work it out eventually :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Are you kidding I think you did brilliantly!! The second go looks like waves :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great attempts! they look brill x

    ReplyDelete