11 November 2011

Pine Needles

This weeks practice run on Free Motion Friday is called Pine Needles.   The name, at least is a vast improvement on last week's stomach lining.   I don't think my straight line stitching is up to the standard of my curvy stitching though.  I find it so hard to keep the stitches even, the lines straight, and to keep the travelling stitches true to the first row.   But let's not prevaricate any longer.  Here it is


 I didn't even notice that the first two rows of pine needles were in the same direction instead of opposite directions.  I tried that again on the last row, but managed to correct it.  It's not too bad from a distance, but close up you can see what I mean about the stitch length and the travelling



But, everyone keeps telling me to stop beating myself up about it!  So in an effort to be positive, I do like this pattern and on a patterned fabric, I could get away with it.  

By the way, this is the ******** red fabric that  ran everywhere during the construction of my table runner.   It is good for nothing more than practice!

Why not hop over to Fluffy Sheep Quilting to see how everyone else is getting on.   Or maybe even have a go yourself

12 comments:

  1. Oh you crack me up! Your stitching is fine, and I love the little cross in the bottom right corner where you changed direction on the needles. And the good for nothing red fabric has found a use. Woohoo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol well at least you found a use for the red fabric! I think your pine needles look good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you wash this fabric will it bleed all over your pristine white stitches and blend them in?? Not that you need to as they are just great and I'm glad you are stopping beating yourself up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I kind of like the 2 rows going the same direction. I think you would be surprised how good this would look on a quilt! Good Job!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh great! Perfect use for the red fabric... lol Try shorter needles... Looks better than you obviously feel it does I promise you :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think it looks pretty good - I thing FMQ is not meant to be perfect - it would loose the "human touch" - IMHO :)
    the red fabric looks fine to me - I could use it for other stuff too ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can see that using the pine needles heading in the same direction could look really good on a picture quilt. Good one.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think they look great! I actually really like the needles on red with white - very Christmasy. Honest, you should be pleased with yourself and your talent. You're rocking this!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks good to me. You were able to get some of the needles to nest, which I could not do. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like the look of two rows in the same direction, looks like a little pine tree forest! Great job on the stitching :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I did exactly the same thing with the direction!! I love yours though, it looks fantastic! Great way to use that fabric :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. i really like it dianne. it looks great to me. i need to start joining in on these free motion fridays.

    ReplyDelete