08 January 2012

Ain't no stopping us now....

we're in the groove.  

I've had quite a successful start to the new year, sewing wise.   The weather has helped.  It's been wet and windy most days since new year, and quite mild.   By rights the temperature should be minus something stupid and snow on the ground.  This I can cope with.  So whilst hubbie has been either "modging" in the garage or watching crap telly, I've been able to get some sewing done.

Today, I bring to you. ....


A completed Dresden cushion.

It's not perfect, it ruckles around the edge probably because it's just a bit big, but at least it's finished.  It is still quite big though, but does nestle nicely in my by when I snuggle down on this chair with my fee up.  Gordon did ask if we were going out to buy a super-sized new settee to go with the super sized cushion.  I still don't love it much, but I have made a usable cushion and I love the fabrics.

Just a little reminder of the transmogrification of my Lily's quilt Dresen over the months.

When I started, I thought I'd just make one block for a cuhsion, not 6 for a quilt.  But I was amazed how big it came out.   That's only my stupidity for not realising, but I don't think I was alone!




Circle nicely pieced
Middle safely in although stlightly wonky.  Not bad for a first effort

And here's where it all went very wrong.   In every way possible



.I used spray adhesive, which did not work well and everything wrinkled, I ran out of white fabrics, so the Composecorner is not the same as the border, and I got carried away with the stitching.  Less is definitely more, as the saying goes. 

I decided the only thing to do was make a cushion with just the dresden, as that was largely unscathed.   I did have to make my inner because I couldn't find one big enough!



It's not perfect, it ruckles around the edge, but at least it's finished.  It is still quite big though, but does nestle nicely in my by when I snuggle down on this chair with my fee up.  Gordon did ask if we were going out to buy a super-sized new settee to go with the super sized cushion.  I still don't love it much, but I have made a usable cushion and I love the fabrics.

But I am rather pleased with the back.  Zips?   Whats the problem?


I put the zip in using this tutorial which left it completely covered,.  I am rather please with how straight the zip is.  I used a zipper foot which really helped.

I lined the back with some interfacing just to give it a bit of body, and stiched a star pattern on it that matched the front (well sort of)



So that's it.  Finished.  Never to darken the doors of my sewing room again!  I will do another Dresden, because I like that part of it.   Just a bit smaller next time!!!!   That's my first finish in the FAL organised by Rhonda at Quilter in the Gap.  Thanks Rhonda for prompting me to get this finished. 

I have progress on other projects to show you, but all in good time.   Time to walk the dogs

Take care
xx

PS  Oooh -  I forgot to show you this picture - an alternative use for the Dresden, if the cushion hadn't worked


A new style cat "igloo"

1 comment:

  1. That certainly is a cute alternative to the pillow.

    ReplyDelete