18 January 2012

Gosh it's a while since I sat down and wrote a post.   We did some painting at the weekend.  Our bedroom got a biit of a freshen up. We also went over to Brno to see the Glenn Miller Orchestra.  Obviously not THE Glen Miller Band, but I believe there are several licensed orchestras through the world.  The one we go to see is lead by a Dutchman called Wil Sanden.  Very nice evening.

Also I've got quite a bit of sewing done.  I got my dear friend the Farmers wife out again and did another 4 blocks.   Quite easy ones this time







The next one looks quite difficult (day and night I think) so I'm putting that one off!

I've made a new start too.  Back in March last year Lee at Freshly pieced started  her Supernova quilt-along.  I thought it was one of the most striking quilts I'd seem.


I really wanted to make it then, but I didn't feel I could commit at the time.  Fast forward to September, when a friend was over here and asked if I would make a quilt for her.  Luckily for me she chose this quilt! And she wanted me to use the Hope Valley fabric.   Win win I say.  I get to make the quilt I wanted to make, with the fabric I wanted to make it in,  without having to pay for the fabric, and hopefully, there may be a bit left over for me at the end!    Here's how far I've got:

First star


Corner blocks for second star
I'm really enjoying sewing with the Hope Valley.  It seems quite dull when you are sewing with it, but when it's finished, the colours pop out somehow.  And, to top it all, the points are all matching perfectly - well with the exception of one or two minor mis-fires that aren't worth correcting.   If only I could work out the difference between slanting to the right and slanting to the left, I'd be laughing!

And finally, I've progressed with my skirt.   The panels are sewn together and the zip is in - just the waistband to go now.


Sorry for the quality of the picture, but I had to clean to mirror to get it this good!  I didn't realise how dirty it was.  The flash  is catching the smears - honestly!









This has been very easy to make, although it was waaaaayyyyy too big, and I had to take out about 3 inches on the waist.  And the fabric, which looks horrible, is a linen mix of some sort, and it drapes beautifully.   I'll let you know the details of the pattern when I've completed it, in case anyone is interested.   And then I've got to choose which nice fabric I'm going to make it from.  I have a favourite pair of jeans which I wear A LOT, so I've decided to wear more skirts to ring the changes.   Does anyone have any recommendations for a good skirt pattern?








7 comments:

  1. Very nice bit of sewing it is.
    The skirt looks great, can't wait to see it finished. It would be great if you could tell what pattern it is. And I'm sure you exaggerate the "horrible-ness" of the fabric, I love the drape and it looks like spring or early summer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the skirt Do. It does drape beautifully. Too bad it's just a practice piece! Cant help you out with the skirt pattern since I wouldn't even attempt my own clothes !

    Im starting the Farmers Wife quilt this weekend. Some of the blocks I feel very confident about and others I'm shitting myself.

    And lastly I totally agree with you about the Hope Valley fabric. I hummed and haa'ed over it forever but every single quilt I've seen finished looks really pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it all. And the skirt photos. I think the fabric looks wonderful. I would be happy to have a skirt like that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Skirt is great! Love those hope valley blocks i still need to decide what to do with my fabric! And the farmers wife blocks are looking good too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your blocks look great, I love the Supernova! The skirt drapes beautifully :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lot of nice things, beautiful blocks and I love the supernova so much, it is nice to see you making it! And I can totally see that skirt with a tank top in the summer out for a walk and a coffee or a drink.

    ReplyDelete
  7. the super nova is looking great. I haven't made clothing (for myself) for a very long time. I'm going to have to give it a go again.

    ReplyDelete