16 February 2012

Finished al last


Ever wished you'd not started something.  That's how I've felt on several occasions these last few weeks, since I had the brainwave that I would design my own zippy pouch for the Mouthy stitiches swap.   Out of my depth also sprang to mind once or twice.

This was my inspiration


And by the way, I don't buy designer sunglasses.  These were given to me by my very kind SIL when she bought some new Christian Dior, or similar when we went to Egypt last November.  It looked such a useful shape, but a quick paper prototype proved that I was never going to get that wedge shape, not in a million years.  However, I thought I might be able to manage a flat one, similar to the sketch below







I made a rough prototype




























Then on to the real thing! 



Boy oh boy was there some cursing and swearing going on whilst I made this!   There are some aspects of it I'm really pleased with.  I  love it that it's my design and I worked out how to make it with a little help from my husband, who solved some of the engineering dilemmas!).  I love the size and shape - you could hide your grannie in here and find her again no problem!   And I love the applique on top - it's a traditional Japanese Twisted Chrysanthemum in not so traditional colours..   Of course, there are things I'm slightly dissapointed in.   I had trouble turning the corners at the back.  I ended up using the same technique that I use when making corners on binding, but it's a bit too pointy like a Madonna bra.   Getting the stiffener (vinyl flooring) to stay in one place was a challenge. This has been turned inside out and ouside in so many times it's a wonder there's a pattern left.   But overall, I think it's good enough to send out to my partner - who I'm pleased to say has already said she likes it!

I've had some really encouraging comments on flickr (thank you everyone)  and many requests to do a tutorial.  I've never done one before but will give it a go.  I'll try to change the construction slightly to iron out the bits I don't like.  I might have a go this weekend, but will have to make sure I don't disturb the rugby!

Stay tuned!


 





13 comments:

  1. i think the mouthy stitches group implies that there better be some swearing/cursing during the construction! ;) and i think you should make a pattern and sell it. i love this pouch and would LOVE one for myself! hint hint... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd be thrilled to get it. I think it is absolutely wonderful and original. Nice job done you!!

    Have to say I HATE this new word verification though. It is doing my head in today!

    OH FFS it has given me symbols not even letters this time. Arrrgghhhh!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. the important thing is ...you kept going and FINISHED well done xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi! That is so so so beautiful! It looks quite a challenge to make! Love your fabrics, as you mentioned I got the same from Leanne. That shape is really practical. I have boutght one, and it's the best one to keep my pens and colours.
    Lucky her, who will receive that!
    x Teje

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm hoping I'm your partner because I love this. It's a great idea and looks fabulous. Arch word verification has gone crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. i also hope that this is coming my way love it ,think you have made it brilliantly !!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It looks great, well done for working out all those pattern pieces too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dianne is looks wonderful!! I love the size and shape :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think it looks fabulous (I have a ton of that lining fabric secreted away somewhere too - love the Santorini line )

    It's so gratifying to know I am not the only one who swears and curses as part of the creative process!

    ReplyDelete
  11. awwwww, i really really love this. It is so pretty and unique and useful and ugh. I want one.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love it and am so glad you worked it all out. And yes, a tutorial would be great, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I know someone who will be hoping this is their swap gift. It turned out great

    ReplyDelete