05 March 2012

Another zippy pouch

I seem to have gotten the bag making bug!   Immediate gratification, I think that's why I like them.  Unlike a quilt, that at best takes a couple of weeks (well it does me anyway), and at worst can drag on for years, you can finish a pouch in an afternoon.

I was wondering what to send to my friend Caz for her birthday.  Caz and I used to work together for 8 or 10 years in the early 80's and have remainded best friends since.  I'm Godmother to her son.  Sadly, because I live out in the Czech Republic, we only see each other every year or two, but when we do meet, it's just like old times!    SO I was mulling over what to buy her.  Last year I got a hand-made bag for her on Etsy, and was thinking of doing something similar this year.  Jewellery, or a picture.   Duh!  I think I could possibly make something myself!  So I made this gag (oops, that should be bag - freudian slip) for her.






She a Junior School teacher, so I'm hoping she can use it for her red pen, glitter and glue.  Or whatever teachers need.

I thought I'd invest in a pattern for once, so I bought Elizabet Hartman's Perfect Zip Bag Pattern.  It was very easy to use, and whilst I probably could've made one without the pattern, it all came together very easily.  With the exception of the zip, which was a local purchase and had a rather large, metal  end stop on it and made it impossible to get a neat end.  I used one of the prints from the Outside Oslo collection, which is what Elizabeth made it in and what made me notice it in the first place.   I have lined it with one of the Echo prints, which is I absolutely love, love, love. 

It was also useful to see how someone "professional" photographs and writes up a pattern, as I battle through writing up a tutorial for my little Mouthy pouch.   My main problem has been remembering to photograph each stage, and it's too late by the time I realise I've missed something!

Now I've got that out of my system, I can move on to other fabric combinations, or maybe something patchy.   The whole family will get one now!  As I'm writing this, I'm humming "Ain't no stoppoing us now, we're in the groove".  I hum a lot.  I know it's not a good thing, well not in public anyway! 

13 comments:

  1. ZIPIT!! Buy your zips from Jennifer and you won`t regret it. I have the same problem with clunky zips here. Gorgeous pouch and perfect for glitter, red pens, kleenex and as you say, other essentials for junior school teachers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice, love the fabrics you chose :o) Oh, and I echo Annabella's Zippit recomendation, find her on Etsy...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it - and I'm sure Caz will too! Everybody is making zippy pouches at the moment!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am sure your friend will find "something" to put inside this lovely bag xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is beautiful! Love the fabrics you've chosen! I have had that pattern purchase page open for about a week but keep thinking i could probably work it out if i put my mind to it! Decisions, decisions! Looking at yours though you might have persuaded me to buy it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOVE that fabric. LOVE that bag . Wish I could do zips.

    I talk to myself . In public. All the freaking time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love those fabrics too!
    I sympathise on the tute business - took all afternoon to do one today and missed one photo - duh!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mmm, Oslo plus Echo, the best combination. Your friend is lucky to have you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's beautiful, love your choice of fabrics. Good luck with the tute.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like that zippy pouch and the fabric is lovely! Looks like this could be your niche...well done!

    ReplyDelete
  11. oh i love that outside oslo fabric! i love it! perfect pouch!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gorgeous gift and I think all teachers need to carry a secret supply of chocolate so that they can get through the day without throttling some of the little darlings!

    ReplyDelete