29 March 2012

Sitch Tease starter block

There hasn't been a huge amount of sewing chez quiltova in March, what with a few days here skiing, and a few days there in England, but I'm so relieved to tell you I have finished the very first block in my very first bee.  Do you remember I've joined a great group of gels in the Stitch Tease Bee?  I have asked everyone to make pinwheel blocks, arranged in a random fashion.   Here's my starter block


I struggled a bit with the random aspect, and it is way more conventional than I thought it would be.  But even so I'm very happy with it.  Most of the points are pointy, and those centres all meet up quite well.  The medium sized turquoise pinwheels and the four surrounding ones are all paper pieced.   I did make a couple of smaller versions of the turquoise one, but after re-sewing both of them about 4 times, I just couldn't get them to meet correctly. 


In the end I felt that they weren't needed so they got put in the scrap bin!

The back is a bit of a 'mare though! It's never mattered before what the back looks like, because it's covered up well before anyone else sees it.  But now I've got to send it off to the next lady in line, completely naked!   Oh Helen, don't look too hard!

The next stage is exciting as we now have to start making blocks for each other.   If I've got the rules right, I've got to make for Hadleigh next.  No pressure then!!  I just need to dig out my "browns"!

14 comments:

  1. I was thinking just the same thing - need the Gok Wong of the quilting world to convince me that my block backs look good naked!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Dianne! That became soooo good! I love your block with different stars! I wish I could 'follow' what the others are going to make! x Teje

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really love your random pinwheels! Great job Di, its fabulous :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks great!! I'm really loving it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is such a great starter block and will be great inspiration for all of us. My wheels are turning

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's a great block, I think it's fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your block! I am already getting ideas. And I am away for a week starting this weekend. Piss poor timing for getting everything done.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very nice! I think I don't have to worry about yours til the month after next, which should give me time to ponder...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can't wait to get my hands on this!! You've done a great job and I know I'm going to love doing my bit of it!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. ooo i love all the pinwheels! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. they all look so amazing! it is going to be beautiful!!!

    ReplyDelete