12 March 2012

Stitch Tease - First block




I've started to make my first block for the Stitch Tease Bee.  My first Bee block ever.  Small fanfare please!

My idea was to make several pinwheels in different patterns and sizes and piece them randomly.   It all started very well, although for the life of me I cannot do random pieceing - I just have to straighten them and make them look tidy!   I'm happy with  the colours - although they are cheery colours, they are all on the chalky side, not bright jewely colours.

So far so good - I even paper pieced two of them.  This isn't the final layout, just a practice.

I love the little one on the left, although I have to remake it because I didn't cut it right for the paper piecing and there's no seam in the middle!


 But then I really wanted to make this one -called a double pin-wheel, but the only templates I could find were for a 12" block (the others are 8", 4" and 2"), and my maths is not up to changing them!  So I made the 12" block.




But I just don't think that 12" block looks right.  It dominates the others and leaves no room around it for any smaller blocks.  I'm happy with  the colours - although they are cheery colours, they are all on the chalky side, not bright jewely colours.


What do you think?  Should I ditch it for another 8" block?  I could always save it for the back.  











13 comments:

  1. Keep the 12"! I love it. If we are all making the rest of your pinwheels then surely some of us will make 12" ones too and hat will bring the balance that you don't see here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keep it, because you have no idea what the rest of us will do, I'm sure it'll fit right in :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would keep it! It looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the fact that they are all different sizes... looks good x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Keep it in, it looks great, as do the others. I really like your variety of pinwheels.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would keep the larger one for the back and I really love all the others together. How do you feel about "white space"?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love it Di! I really like the colours (and have some fabric which I think will work with yours....phew!!). I can see why you feel why you do about the 12 inch block - but by the time the rest of us have each made a 12 inch in our pieces it won't stand out at all. Just make sure that you instruct everyone to make at least one 12 inch block!! I'm looking forward to this on - I love pinwheels!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Dianne! I love all your blocks and the big one is fantastic! I would make 2 or 3 those big blocks and then surround them with all those different size blocks! Or perhaps only one big - it depends what size your quilt is going to be. I love your fabrics and colours and that's why I found you when we made those fabric bundles!
    Happy sewing! It's going to be so beautiful quilt!
    x teje

    ReplyDelete
  9. You`re doing great Dianne and I agree with Susan about how others will be made which will create balance. I`m having a nightmare with my bee block and considering a re-think.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love them all, I wouldn't ditch the big one.

    ReplyDelete
  11. oh dear, i love your colors! it is going to be a beautiful quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  12. think they all look great keep the 12 inch block love your fabrics :))

    ReplyDelete