07 April 2012

So why do people knit socks?

About a week ago, maybe more, my friend Helen over at run quilt knit, wrote this post about a pair of her knitted socks and a moth.  It prompted me to ask a question that pops to my mind every time I read a blog about knitted socks.  Why?   I am a knitter myself and have knit from jumper for hubbie to cardis for me, baby clothes, toys and even a christening shawl, but I've never felt the need to knit socks.  As I said to Helen, I just on't get it.  But thousands do, so I asked Helen to try to explain why.

And she did!   With a passion!

You can go over here to read her answer, which really make me laugh!  But it also did ring a few bells and light a few lights.   So next time I went to my local crafty shop, this is what I came out with!!


So what made me give it a try

If I can quote from Helen

......I never pull on a pair of delicious bright, smooshy, soft, cosy socks and don’t think aaaaaah.

...... every time I look at a newly and nicely turned heel I have a sense of achievement

'...socks are the one knitted garment that you can make with gay abandonment, irrespective of the colour.


So, ever one to learn a new skill, you will now find me of an evening  knitting my socks, hopefully on the patio, no longer in front of a roaring log fire!  Helen, you've not converted me yet, but you have got me interested!

Watch this space.

12 comments:

  1. Have fun with them! My mum knits kilt hose all the time, don't think dad will ever run out of them lol Personally, I'm allergic to wool, so bring on the cotton socks :oD

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I wish you luck - I really do!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay Di... If you find an absolute beginners pattern give me a shout and I might get one of them sock needles... My man has been begging me for knitted socks for the last 7 years...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love to knit socks, but they do wear out very quickly if you wear them in shoes. I often knit mittens for the same reasons, including the wild colours. You can make two mittens from a single skein of sock yarn, sometimes more. My preferred needle choice is to use a single circular with a very long string so I can magic loop it (which after I got over the name, is my favourite method of knitting in the round now). You are not the first person writing about socks, I think I will get some yarn out of my stash and start a pair too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I want to knit socks too, but need to finish this darn sweater that is taking forever. Helen has prompted my interest too

    ReplyDelete
  6. having been a knitter most of her life my mother decided... in her late 70's ...that she NEEDED to try knitting a pair of socks!! They came out different sizes ,colours and lenghths!! My daughter claimed them to wear in bed!! One and only pair made... sanity (of a sort) now returned lol I wish you luck xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I asked that very question this week too as I have also noticed so many comments, patterns etc for socks. I can't imagine them being comfortable in shoes but I have read Helen's reasons and get that they might be fun and satisfying to create.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well as I can't knit - I will content myself with M&S snugglies!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Attagirl! I feel so proud that you took me at my word - hope it turns out to be fun and if you get stuck then bring them to London and I'll sort you out! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just me again - on the wearing in shoes comments - I have to say that hand knits are brilliant in boots and trainers or substantial winter shoes - all of which I wear a lot. They probably don't work very well with anything ladylike or glamorous!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I read Helen's answer to your question. Now I want to knit socks too! In my spare time--right! Why, oh why, did God give us only 24 hours in a day???

    ReplyDelete