23 May 2012

At last, a finish

If you remember, I was making a quilt for my nephew's brand new daughter, but it has dragged on a bit - she's 16 next week!  But it's finsihed at last.

I chose to make the Sweet Pea quilt from Camilla Roskelley's book Simplify, mainly because I fancied doing the scalloped bias binding.  Here's the start



Made from the orphan fabrics left over when the Farmers wife copped it, hence the name Pheonix, rising from the ashes.

I had a bit of trouble with the tape when I was trying to baste it.  The tape must be getting a bit old and just would not hold.


The wandering daisy print didn't turn out quite the success I hoped for


It's lovely on the white and yellow, but lost in the middle.  And it turned out to be more of a wonky daisy than wandering!

And here it is blowing in the breeze


The biais binding on the scalloped edges was a bit tricky but I can tick something else off the "learning new things" list















And finally rolled



So today this will hopefully get posted off to Manchester to it's new life.   I'm quite pleased with it - when I started it, I didn't know it was for a girl, but by the time I did the binding I knew, so I picked out more pink colours.  I think the end result is very girly, in fact it's a bit to pretty,pretty for my tastes, but I know it will be appreciated and loved.  And that's all that counts!

And because it's WIP Wednesday, I can tell you that the only other progress that's been made is my sample swaps for the FQ Retreat.  They're almost finished and I'll post the results in a day or two.

All other projects:  No progress other than they moved from the upstairs bedroom back to the dining room, af you call that progress!

So now you can hop over to Lee's WIP to see what the others are up to.

xx

19 comments:

  1. Di, that quilt looks wonderful! I love every aspect of it and each detail comes together for a glorious finish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The backing is perfect for that quilt and the wavy edges: so cool!

    ReplyDelete
  3. well done, love the scolloped edge xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. My goodness, daisy quilting and bias scalloped edges? Ten out of ten missus x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really love your quilt it is just so pretty. I am going to try a scalloped edge soon, it is so lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stunning! This beauty is going to be cherished for years to come :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh it's so pretty! I know what you mean about the finishing. I have a few quilt tops that I completed a while ago that just need quilting and binding. I love this one! The scallop edges look great and the backing fabric is so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh I think it is just beautiful. Definitely worth the wait. And the quilting is great, too!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It looks fab, but really? 16 already?!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It looks really lovely. Gee you did take a long time to make it, 16 years, lol. I'm sure it will be well loved in it's new home. I really think you are being too hard on yourself re the quilting. It looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It looks perfect for the little one - I know my girlies would love it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love it . It's perfectly gorgeous for a little girl. Those fabrics are wonderful and the whole thing is pretty darn amazing.

    This is going to be completely loved .

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love this pattern...I made it as a pillow. I skipped the scalloped edge and I wish I hadn't! Yours is so lovely! Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  14. the quilt will be so loved and appreciated. I love the backing you used and that scalloped edge is so perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  15. oh i love the scalloped edge so so much! and i bet she is happy to have it. better late than never i always say! xo

    ReplyDelete
  16. It looks perfectly crinkly from hanging on the clothes line. It is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love this quilt, the blocks look tiny next to the bear. How big are they?
    The wavy edge is perfect: you did a great job!
    What is the backing fabric: I MUST have that
    (I can be soooo greedy)

    ReplyDelete