21 May 2012

Bloggers Quilt Festival

Amy's Creative Side


I thought I would join in with the Bloggers Quilt Festival this year.  It's a first for me - having the confidence to put one of my quilts into a competition.   Not with any expectations of winning, as I've seen the competition, but I hope some of you will have come over to share my favourite quilt.

I've chosen my "Beyond the sea" quilt.  It wasn't my first quilt, it wasn't the most difficult I've done, but it is the only quilt  I've made that I've kept.



It was my first go at picking my own colour pallet and as I didn't have much in the way of a fabric stash at the time,  I ordered random fabrics from the internet in the hope that they matched, and most of them did.   Some of them I have used time and time again, until there's none left


(That little cockeral print - I've no idea what it was and I've got none left now - anyone any idea ?).


I get this quilt outside in the garden at any opportunity.  We had a friend over for supper yesterday and we sat outside in the sun, me on the bench with my quilt and pillows, and a glass of wine.   Doing a bit of hand sewing and chatting.  Absolute heaven!  How did I ever live without a quilt?

Reconstruction!

I'm not very good at naming quilts.   At the time of making this, I was trying to choose song titles (That didn't actually last very long as it was quite difficult!) and this one reminded me of the seaside, having picnics in amongst the dunes, hence Beyond the Sea.  I even took it to the UK last summer so that we could have a picnic on the beach, but it rained most of the time.  It did come in useful one day though


P1020508


I had lots of shots of the WIP but only one (not very good one) of the finished quilt.  So I took it out this morning in the wind and got a few more.  I had to wait ages for it to stop blowing, but  got some lovely shots of it in the wind.





That's "Beyond the sea"  -  I think I've snook into the deadline of 21st May by the skin of my teeth, but now everyone else has moved on to the Sew Mama Sew giveaway day.  I just can't keep up!

16 comments:

  1. This quilt is lovely, and I like the shot with its backside showing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your "Beyond the sea" quilt. I love the colors and the design, everthing. I think the photos are great, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a gorgeous quilt, Di, and rightly belongs in the festival. I love the reconstructed photo!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can understand why you kept this one. it's really lovely. Beautiful soft colours. Ah Susan got in first, I love the reconstructed photo too. Very helpful!
    A great glimpse of the black blowing in the wind.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is absolutely beautiful! I had a little trouble getting to your blog, though, it seems as though your link goes straight back to BQF instead of here. Thought I'd let you know.

    ReplyDelete
  6. the quilt is beautiful and deserves a place in the competition

    ReplyDelete
  7. amazing quilt! amazing pictures! great work dear friend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. gorgeous! i love the palette :-D

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is a beautiful quilt--cool and fresh! For ordering random fabrics, you made a great job--you must have an eye for it! :-) Also, I have no idea what the little cockerel fabric is, but is a fun print, and quite unlike anything else I've seen. :-)

    Hazle
    suntred02 at aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love it! And I love the photos of your yard and the quilt blowing in the wind. This is a perfect quilt for the festival.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely quilt. I have the same problem hanging the quilt outside and waiting for the wind to die down so that the quilt will behave. Love your choices of colors.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love all the photos of your beautiful quilt. Isn't it wonderful to have a quilt that goes everywhere with you?!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Got to love a useful quilt, oh, and I used the same random fabric selection from the internet for my entry too lol

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a fun quilt! It does look very snuggly. And it is extra special as it is just for you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. what a lovely quilt! the peaceful colours, straightforward pattern and heavy quilting make it perfect for snuggling under! it's such crinkley goodness!

    ReplyDelete
  16. You are very talented Elle. I absolutely love the colors in the quilt! What a relaxing combination! Beautiful quilt.

    ReplyDelete