26 May 2012

FQ London 2012 Link Party

Fat Quarterly


Doesn't time fly?  It was back in the cold dark days of February thatI bought my tickets for the FW Retreat, and here we are, just 7 days away.  So if you've hopped over from the linky on flickr, welcome to my little bloggie world.

I'm English, living in the Cech Republic with my husband (also English), two dogs and two cats.  It's a beautiful part of the world, there's a few posts here and here if you'd like to see a bit more.   I've always been a knitter - mum must taught me when I was young, and I've since taught myself to crochet.

 

That's me on the right teaching my friends to crochet!

I learnt the basics of sewing at school (thank you Mrs Jeffries) and in my younger days I did a bit of dressmaking, with reasonable success.   Then one day, about 2 years ago,  I came across "Oh Fransson" and the rest, as they say, is history. I'm self taught off the internet and books, and I still don't think I'm a brilliant sewista - I have trouble holding a straight line, and a 1/4 inch seam.   My cutting out is not wonderful .  I  do have numpty moments where I sewing things together back to bront, inside out, upside down.  You know how it is!  And I never get to see other people sewing as all my sewing is done at home alone.    So I'm looking forward to doing a lot of stalking at the Retreat, just watching how real sewists do it. 

Of course I can't wait to meet the friends I have made on the internet.  Are you going to be like I think you are?  And what about all the people I don't really know very well - so many new friendships to look forward to.  I think sewing (and knitting) is something that should be done with a cuppa, and chatting with friends, and I think there'll be a fair bit of that!

And then there's the workshops.  Because I'm not able to take a machine, I tried to choose something where I could hand sew, so I'm doing the English paper Piecing and Freezer Paper pieceing, both techniques I wanted to learn.  Then I'm having a go at Lynnes Union Jack, well just because I've always wanted to do this, and  hopefully I can get to borrow a machine.

I'm a little nervous about being let loose in London on my own - I'm not a big city girl at all.  But I know I'll be OK.  For heavens sake, I'm quite happy to pootle around cities like Berlin and Prague alone, so I should be able to cope in a city where I speak the language.! But there's plenty of other people to keep me in check!


So I'll be off to London on Friday, arriving from Bratislava.  I have my name tag, from Nicole at Follow the white bunny.




 I've got my sample swaps

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-KPahh4S8iew/T79vDiM-X7I/AAAAAAAABho/R_tRdYySRss/s1600/P1040418.JPG

Just got the supplies to sort out and my bag to pack.   Then I'm off!   CAN'T WAIT!!    See you all soon

Di
xx

30 comments:

  1. See you next weekend. Woohoo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG this time next week I'll be in the cab with Nicky to BPH!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. woohooo CANNOT wait to meet you! Great post and I love the pic of you teaching the others to crochet!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Are you doing EPP on saturday morning by any chance? Cos I am.... See you soon.... (yay!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have a wonderful time Di, love that nametag!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've seen this post somewhere before... LOL X

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just love your sample swaps. My moo cards arrived last week.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, you girls are going to have so much fun. Wish I was joining you all, especially the Stitch Tease girls!

    ReplyDelete
  9. ohhh Im EPP Saturday morning, which one of the 3 are you doing, Im thinking snowball and a few hexies if I get time :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ohhhhh those sample swaps are yours!!!!!!!!!!! they are too scrummy.
    Can't wait to meet you. Sounds like we have our first class together.
    I am following your blog now so that I can see how you get on at the Retreat.
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Can't wait to meet you Dianne, it's going to be so much fun!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those sample swaps are brilliant! I've been to Prague and living in Berlin I am always wondering where are good palces to go in the Czech republic so you'll have to fill me in! And next time you are in Berlin then give me a call! See you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  13. See you there, looking forward to meeting you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. those swaps are to die for. I'm intrigued about why Southern Czech republic - sounds romantic :)
    See you next week

    ReplyDelete
  15. eeeeeep! So exciting :-)
    I hope I am in your swap group - those are FAB!

    ReplyDelete
  16. See you next weekend! Di x

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am looking forward to meeting you in person!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your sample swaps are so lovely! I wish I could meet you in person, hopefully some other time. For now I'm just "walking" around the blogs enjoying the retreat posts.

    ReplyDelete
  19. You will be able to spot me easily enough! I'll be wearing my envelope! Really looking forward to meeting you.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Looking forward to meet you and to see my little Polar Bear friend on the tag again! :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Di! Really looking forward to meeting you, its very exciting isn't it? See you at the weekend xxx

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hello Dianne! I'm really looking forward to meeting you! The lovely mug rug you made me is sitting at my window with a jug of flowers and it looks fab! x

    ReplyDelete
  23. Cant wait to meet you in person Di!! I had no idea you lived in the Czech Republic, learn something new every day! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  24. Those swaps are awesome, darn I knew I should have ordered me some Moo cards! Looking forward to meeting you :-)

    ReplyDelete
  25. You're halfway organised; I'm about to start!
    See you!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh my - still working on my sample swaps - they are taking me forever!

    See you very soon!

    Yipee!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Wow, I hope I'm in your sample swap group!!!
    I have still some things to pack and label but most of it is done!
    Am I the only one who isn't a native english speaker?!!!
    Ahh!
    See you Friday :o)

    Christine

    ReplyDelete