10 June 2012

New thoughts

It's been a whilse since I posted.  To be honest, the thought of spending and hour putting together an interesting post with lots of photos, has left me feeling exhausted. I just don't have the right mind set at the moment so I thought I'd try a different angle.  Split everything up in small bites, and post a short, to the point post every day.  So here goes.

Since getting back from London I have been able to clear the decks (took a while, but I got there) and get on with some of my older projects.  Firstly I finished the star blocks for the Supernova quilt for my friend


A while ago, when I only had 7 blocks, I asked which colours I should use for the last two.  Much as I wanted to make another pink one, I had to agree with the majority and made another grey and orange.  The result is stunning I think.  I cannot progress any further now, as I need more info from the recipient - does she want it draping over the edge, over the pillows (I may have to do another row of blocks in which case I ge to make another pink one!)

So last night I dragged out the stained quilt.  I had ordered charcoal for the sashing but was underwhelmed by it, so I called in a FQ of orange, which I was sure would be the one, and a soft green, just in case.   Here they are laid out


Nope, not enough contrast





Ooh er, too much contrast.  It overpowers the fabrics.  And I so wanted this to be the one!


Reluctantly I have to admit that this works the best.  It puts the fabrics centre stage.  I can spark it up with the binding


So that's what I'll be doing today.  Also, when Gordon gets back with the dogs, we are going to give the kitchen a long over due clean.  Well, it does have to be done every now and then!  And besidesit's pouring with rain, so I'm not going to get on the garden.

Have a nice Sunday


Di
xx

13 comments:

  1. I think you are right about the grey being best. I also think aubergine or navy might work well but presume ordering in a plethora of solids until you have your favourite is not the plan. Supernova is stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, seriously efficient there missus, I was happy with just getting 2 wee bee blocks done yesterday lol I agree though, the grey works best :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well I love colour and think the orange could look amazing but you are probably right about the grey!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Dianne! Your blocks are beautiful and I think the colours are really good! For your new project I prefer also the dark backround - beautiful fabrics! x Teje

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love charcoal and used it on my stained so I know it will look great. I do love that orange too, I am sure you can use it soon. And I love your supernova!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with Annabella, that the orange really makes a statement.
    I love your super Nova quilt. I really want to make that pattern

    ReplyDelete
  7. awwww feel bad telling you you cant have the orange... but I'm going to anyway. Not the orange! ;-) Orange would be an awesome binding though.... How much would you charge to turn my hope valley into a stack of those beautiful blocks? One day, one day.....

    ReplyDelete
  8. The charcoal definitely looks the best, they will look great surround by that colour. Love the supernova blocks too

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the charcoal Di - it will be fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The orange could look brilliant - don't forget they are only thin strips when pieced - if not, use it for the binding!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your supernova quilt is coming along so wonderfully. You have a very lucky friend.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The supernova quilt looks fabulous. I think the grey looks best for the sashing too, although I do love orange.

    ReplyDelete
  13. i do like the charcoal but i vote orange! and i really really hope you get to make another pink block!

    ReplyDelete