14 July 2012

Moravian Modern Quilt Guild

I read a post a while ago, can't remember who it was, saying that as there was no modern quilt guild near their home, they were thinking of starting their own, with one member.  It was a humerous post about e-mailing herself, meeting with herself etc. etc.  You get the gist.

So as there is no modern quilt guild anywhere me, I've started my own, the Moravian modern quilt guild!.  But it does have two members not one.  My sister in law, Bridget and I.   She's staying with us for the weekend (without her husband who couldn't get away) and we're sewing!  She has a friend who is having a baby in September, and asked if I'd make a quilt.  Well, as she's here, rather than me make it, I'm teaching Bridget how to do it!   Fortunately she is an experienced sewer, just never made a quilt before, so all it took was a bit of basic cutting, sewing a 1/4 inch seam and she was away!

Careful measuring and cutting!


Concentrating on the 1/4 inch seam



More cutting

Chain piecing (and yes, that is my supernova quilt in the background)


Squaring up the blocks - I wish some-one had told me I could do this when I first started!




Progress
End of the first day!


We've done a bit more today, and now we're off shopping.

Fat Quarterly retreat it ain't, but we're having fun!!

14 comments:

  1. ....and that my dear is the main thing! I bet Bridget will be hooked by the time she goes home!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks great! Been doing some of the same myself!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks fun - if you go to Amy's Creative Side - the featured blogger this week was from the Czech Republic, maybe you could have a 3rd member!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations in the successful launch of your guild. I do hope you double your numbers and find some like minded people to join in the very near future!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful that she is doing so well! You totally should register as a modern guild and maybe more quilters would come along in time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. quilting and sewing is always more fun with someone else to natter to at the same time. Looks like your quilt guild is success

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Dianne! I wish I could join your guild because I'm the only one here around! Thank you for an idea, I start to plan how my own guild could work. I'm so happy you had friends to sew with and you did great progress on that beautiful quilt! I love the pattern and colours! x Teje

    ReplyDelete
  8. ahh! another quilter in the fold ...how wonderful ... maybe you should advertise and then there could be 3 or 4 or 5 or... xlol x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, both your quilts look gorgeous! Love the idea of your own Modern Quilt Guild!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good to see you spreading the word. It would be nice if you could find some other quilters in the area. Bridget's quilt looks lovely and bright.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks like fun! Both those quilts are looking lovely! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love spending the weekend with a mate immersed in a sewing project. Looks like you guys are having a blast.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It looks like you are a real good teacher.

    ReplyDelete