26 September 2012

WIP Wednesday

Now that I've got my machine back from the repair man, and thank goodness it seems to be back in working order, I am cracking on with quilting Supernova.

This is the first time I am quilting something so big, and it seems to have multiplied in size several times once it's on the machine.   I'm currently wallowing in the middle of it like one of those bugs that gets stuck upside down , waving it's legs in the air! 




Despite the fact I bought an extension table, the quilt still gets stuck on one or other of the edges or corners.   Add to that the weight of it all, and there is a tremendous amount of drag. It makes it extremely difficult to get any rythm going, and I seem to sew a couple of inches, stop, wrestle it around a bit, then do another couple of inches.  Consequently my stippling does flow very well and is turning into more of a wavy line!  If anyone has any tips to make life easier, they would be gratefully received.

I had considered a more tricky pattern, but decided against it as I didn't want to ruin this particular quilt, as it is for a friend.  Good job I think.  I'll save that for the Terraced garden, which is smaller, more manoeuvrable, and destined for my spare bedroom, so it doesn't matter if it's a bit dodgy.

It's a long weekend here in CZ and we have no power at the factory tomorrow, so it's extended to 4 days.  This is probably what I'll be up to most of the time, so I'm linking up to Lee's WIP Wednesday

Di
xx



12 comments:

  1. i neeeeeeeed to practice my fmq~ this looks amazing di!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks great Di! I always struggle moving the mahoosive quilts around when FMQ, which is probably why I use the lazy wonky line method with the walking foot :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looking forward to the end result. Enjoy your extended long weekend

    ReplyDelete
  4. Whew, good luck with the wrestling!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have no tips for FMQ but a certain sheep I know said its always much easier after a glass or two of vino...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have no idea and no FMQ skill to speak of, but it looks great x

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is my first visit to your blog - I arrived from WIP Wednesday. Your FMQ work is beautiful and the quilt itself looks gorgeous. I look forward to a picture of the finished project.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think the quilt looks great - I am a big fan of the Hope Valley fabric. Good luck with the FMQ! I too have heard it is easier after a glass of wine!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can't wait to see this one when it is finished

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can imagine you on your back with your legs waving in the air....!!! It's going to be wonderful though!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love quilting action shots! If the quilt is falling off your actual table (not the extension table for the machine) you can pull an ironing board over or other table to catch it. The more table about you - I pull another table behind my sewing table when I quilt - the easier it is as the quilt falls off less. Also, position the quilt so that the folds don't cause drag, I keep refolding it. But mostly it is just the patience to do a part at a time and then shuffle it all. I try to remember to stand up too each time I do that as it is easier for my back if I stretch a lot. I am not sure if these hints help much but there you go.

    ReplyDelete