25 October 2012

First day of winter

I know it's not the official first day of winter, but we've just had our winter tyres fitted today, and to me, that's the signal for winter to arrive.  An low and behold, snow is forecast for the weekend!   It's a bit early, even in these parts, so I don't suppose it will amount to much.   One of the national  habits  we have adopted since living here is getting the garden tidy and put to bed for the winter, and readying ourselves and the house for the onslaught - logs chopped and stacked, chimney swept, the snow blower serviced and ready for action.

And out in the garden, the flowers I grew for cutting, are still flowering their little hearts out.  I keep saying, this is the last bunch, but I think these really, really are the last.


I do like to have fresh flowers on my hall table so I guess next week, I'll be back to buying them. 


7 comments:

  1. Winter. So not ready. But we are supposed to be getting a real cold spell too. Yuck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i suppose to get cold here next week brrr

    ReplyDelete
  3. so pretty. We are still having summer weather during the day with fall evenings. Pretty flowers. Fresh flowers will brighten any day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hehehe...you're just like me with putting the garden to bed for the winter!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh chimney swept... if only. We so needed to do that and havent :-( Been snowing on and off since last night here. Boooo!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hadnt thought about all the things you might need to do to prepare for winter. It just doesn't get cold enough here for us to do any of that. I do store my outdoor cushions but that's about it.

    Are you sure you wont get just one more bunch of those beauties before it's time to get them from the supermarket for a while?

    ReplyDelete