Here we go
Regular readers of my blog will know all about this quilt as I've force-fed you with it for quite a long time. But for anyone visiting for the first time, I have admired this quilt ever since I first saw it on Lee's blog, Freshly Pieced. I just needed an excuse to make it, and when a friend asked me if I'd make her a quilt, I showed her this one. Luckily she loved it, and even better, she loved the fabric Lee had made it in - Denyse Schmidt's Hope Valley. That was September last year, and it seems to have taken soooo long to make. I dibbed and dobbed with other projects, and did this when I felt in the mood. AFter I'd made the 9 blocks, I decided it wasn't big enough, so I made another three. Then I took it with me to my friends house when we were in England in August. I needed to see it on the bed, to be able to decide how to finish it. I'm so pleased I did because it looked stunning, and I knew exactly what I needed to do to finish it.
The back has a double strip of pin-wheels across the back, neatly using up some of the HST's that I had left over from the front
I wanted to FMQ it myself, with a bit fancier pattern than I would normally choose. But after all this, I didn't want to ruin it with crappy quilting, so I stuck with the stippling, which is what my friend actually asked for (luckily). And the binding - I used up all the left-overs to make a scrappy binding
I FMQ's this using Aurifil for the first time, and I have to say it's been a dream. My usually temperamental machine flew through the quilting without much more than a couple of knotty bits in the back. And let me tell you than is a 1000% improvement on what I've used previously!
I'm linking my big finish up to WIP Wednesday, and also declaring a finish in Rhonda's Q 3 FAL. Sadly this is the only finish, but as I only said I'd finish 2 things, I got 50% of the way!