03 October 2012

Supernova is go

I am so very pleased to say that after around 12 months, with the exception of sewing in a few ends that I missed,my Supernova quilt is finished.  I washed it today and it's gone all crinkly and nice, and as the sun is shining, I could get out and take some photos.  Except it's so big I had to wait for a willing helper to hold the quilt up for me.




Here we go











Regular readers of my blog will know all about this quilt as I've force-fed you with it for quite a long time.  But for anyone visiting for the first time, I have admired this quilt ever since I first saw it on Lee's blog, Freshly Pieced.  I just needed an excuse to make it, and when a friend asked me if I'd make her a quilt, I showed her this one.  Luckily she loved it, and even better, she loved the fabric Lee had made it in - Denyse Schmidt's Hope Valley.   That was September last year, and it seems to have taken soooo long to make.   I dibbed and dobbed with other projects, and did this when I felt in the mood.  AFter I'd made the 9 blocks, I decided it wasn't big enough, so I made another three.   Then I took it with me to my friends house when we were in England in August.  I needed to see it on the bed, to be able to decide how to finish it.  I'm so pleased I did because it looked stunning, and I knew exactly what I needed to do to finish it.



The back has a double strip of pin-wheels across the back, neatly using up some of the HST's that I had left over from the front




I wanted to FMQ it myself, with a bit fancier pattern than I would normally choose.  But after all this, I didn't want to ruin it with crappy quilting, so I stuck with the stippling, which is what my friend actually asked for (luckily).  And the binding - I used up all the left-overs to make a scrappy binding

I FMQ's this using Aurifil for the first time, and I have to say it's been a dream.  My usually temperamental machine flew through the quilting without much more than a couple of knotty bits in the back.  And let me tell you than is a 1000% improvement on what I've used previously!

So now I have to pack it up and send it off to my friend.  I will be so sad to see it go, but I have known all the way along it wasn't for me.   But no, I won't be making myself another one.  I couldn't possibly do it all again!

I'm linking my big finish up to WIP Wednesday, and also declaring a finish in Rhonda's Q 3 FAL.   Sadly this is the only finish, but as I only said I'd finish 2 things, I got 50% of the way!

22 comments:

  1. Your quilt is gorgeous... enjoy your It's Finished Feeling ;-D

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is so superb!! Fabulous! The back and the scrappy binding look wonderful too :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. its so lovely. The colours are just perfect and I love the quilting that you have done as well

    ReplyDelete
  4. The quilt is beautiful, I'm glad you are delighted with it, lost of work and planning!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stunning. Another to add to my list if must make quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  6. sad to see it go, its definitely on my list!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. it is so gorgeous di! your quilting is awesome! i have to figure out how to get my tension right on my machine for the fmq. it is kicking my butt!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's just beautiful Dianne - you must be thrilled! Everything about it is perfect and I love the row of little pinwheels on the back!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dianne, it's just outstanding. Fabulous job.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just gorgeous - don't know how you can bear to part with it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Simply awesome :-) Massive big pat on the back, and a wee cuddle in case you get teary eyed posting....

    ReplyDelete

  12. Those postmen better take good care of it xxx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Woohoo, I'll say it again, it looks absolutely amazing, and love the wee pinwheels on the back :o)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love, love, love it. Seriously beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  15. That is SO beautiful! I absolutely love the pinwheels on the back as well! Job well done!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love it, it is just stunning. I also love the back, those pinwheels look so full of movement. You friend is very lucky, I hope she loves it.

    ReplyDelete
  17. The Supernova is wonderful and looks great with the quilting you used. Your friend is lucky. Congrats on the finish link up.

    ReplyDelete
  18. oh my gosh! I am SUCH a supernova fan! I adore the one I made in Lee's QAL! Yours is just lovely - congrats on a milestone finish! Thanks for linking up to wip Wednesday this week, where I've had the pleasure of guest-hosting!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Just shared on A Quilter's Table's fb page...

    ReplyDelete
  20. I've been seeing this around and I wanted to stop by to say how lovely it is! I'm a little behind on my blog reading (obviously!) but wanted to let you know your quilt is BEAUTIFUL. You know, in case no one else has told you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. OMG! This is BEAUTIFUL!!! Wow, I'm floored! I guess it shouldn't be surprising that I love everything about it. : ) But seriously, you did an amazing job. I'm just as in love with the back of the quilt as the front!

    And isn't it so satisfying to finish such a long-term project? Great job, I hope your friend loves it too!

    ReplyDelete