23 October 2012

Thimbles 2

Do you remember this post from a couple of weeks ago, with my musings on thimbles.  Well it turned out that I'm not the only one that has problems.  One or two or you have found a thimble that is OK, but most people seem to have the same problem.  They don't fit properly, stop you sewing normally and slow you down.   The best of the bunch seemed to me to be a soft leather one that Sarah recommended.  So I sent off for one

Here it is in use


I'd say it's about 50% of the way to being the perfect thimble.  It is really soft, and it 's the first thimble I've found that fits well over the end of the finger, but it still doesn't allow me to bend that first finger joint so I end up sewing with a straight finger, which is not a natural postition for me, and so makes sewing very awkward.   I'm very tempted to chop off the first 1/2 inch so that it finishes before the joint, so allowing my finger to bend.  It was quite expensive, so I don't want to ruin it completely, but there again if I don't use it, it was a waste anyway.  I think I need to get Gordon and his engineer brain onto it!

At the same time I bought a few other little bits and bobs (I hate the word notions, I don't know why!)


The black gold needles were a great buy.  They are so wonderfully smooth, and make hand stitching so much easier.  But they have tiny, tiny eyes, so it's lucky I bought a needle threader at the same time. Although with my eyesight, I can only just see to get the threader through the eye!   Which, incidentally, I have already sat on and mangled!.    The little pair of snips I bought in the hope that I can get them on a plane so I can sew.  They ere only 1.35 so it's no great loss of they get confiscated.

I'm very pleased to say, I'm on day 23 of 31 in the Blogtoberfest.  Just 8 more things to think of to write about!


7 comments:

  1. you are doing much better than me my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found that the needles push through the leather on that thimble. Let me know how you like it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heh, I may or may not have spent some time threading the other Di's needles with the tiny eyes at SS ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maybe just a small snip in the top of the thimble will give you some 'bend'. Good luck x

    ReplyDelete
  5. These kind of post are always inspiring and I prefer to read quality content so I happy to find many good point here in the post, writing is simply great, thank you for the post soft toys

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'd mangle the thimble without consulting the engineer. I am impulsive like that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The lady I used to be an au pair for many years ago gave me one of her mother's thimbles as it was a perfect fit. I'm terrified of losing it as I love it so much. The leather thimble looks really nice though, I wonder if I could make one myself? I've got some leather scraps lying about somewhere...

    ReplyDelete