I chose to make it from this fabric
It was originally going to be for a baby quilt, but then it got morphed into a quilt for our spare room.
I dithered for ages about which colour to use for sashing. Then I didn't have the backing, or the binding, so I dithered a bit more. And then I wasn't sure about how to quilt it, so I dithered even more. But finally we have that tah dah moment
In the end I went with the charcoal sashing , because I thought the orange would overwhelm it, but I managed to get the orange in on the binding!
And for the first time ever I quilted it with something other than white thread - orange for this one. Randomly spaced wavy lines in the centrepanel, with a sort of a stained glass window pattern on the borders. I usually do a stippled pattern, and I really wanted to do something a little different with this quilt. This one is for me, so I didn't matter too much if it came out a bit dodgy! I was surprised what a difference it makes to the feel of the quilt. A more open quilting gives it a much softer drape, whereas the stippling makes it slightly stiffer
And the back
I tried to piece this to reflect the stained glass of the front.
And finally Ted reminded me he has to have a shot with every new quilt
I think it's a really beautiful quilt but if I'm honest, I'm not over keen on the charcoal sashing. A bit of me still wishes I'd gone for the orange (A lesson for the future to go with your insincts). Gordon has labelled it my depressed quilt (in depressing colours)!
If you'd like to see the other versions of this quilt, pop over to the flickr group and see what everyone else has done with this pattern
Thanks Sarah for doing all the hard work, getting this pattern together. I thought it was stunning the first time I saw it, and I'm so glad I joined in. Just so sorry it took so long!
This is also the first finish for the Q4 FAL