12 November 2012

Travellin' Pic Stitch Blog Hop


I was very happy when I was asked by Katy to be part of the blog hop that she and Laura started, which would run whilst they were gadding about the United States.  The idea is to find a picture that you love, maybe your home town or maybe something more exotic, put it through one of those palette making sausage machines, pull out some fabrics using the palette as an inspiration, and make a EPP block from them.
It was surprisingly hard to find the right photograph.  Although I have hundreds to choose from, the colours all seemed very dull.  For those visiting for the first time, I live in Southern Moravia in the Czech Republic, which is a beautiful area and also a Unesco World Heritage site.  We have acres of vineyards, and some fabulous buildings built by the Lichtenstein family in the 18th and 19th century.  But the colours were all very muddy and dull.

So then I went to our trip to China for inspiration.   This trip was a special treat for my 50th birthday.  My father worked out in China for 2 years in late 1970's, and my mum took a couple of trips there, and to Hong Kong, to visit him.  I had the opportunity to go with her, but I had just started to date my now husband, I decided to stay at home.  Duh, stupid!  So my visit was a bit of a pilgrimage in their footsteps.  Of course China is so very different now to the late 70's, when my father had a pretty rough time out there.  He lived in an un-modernised  hotel, with intermittent heat and light, and hot and cold running mice!  He was never allowed anywhere on his own, and complained that he had been taken to the Great Wall so often, he never wanted to see it again. I have a few photographs which they took when mum was visiting, once of which was mum standing  in Tiananmen Square in front of the Forbidden city.   Unfortunately it is a slide which I can't get a decent scan of, but you're going to have to take my word that she was standing in practically the same place that I am in this picture

Mind you, the 6 lanes of traffic weren't there when mum was!!   And thank goodness I was wearing a turquoise top that day, because it added a bit of colour to the picture.

And now to put it into an EPP block.  I only officially learned EPP at the Fat Quarterly retreat this summer, although I had dabbled prior to that.  I worked on a snowball block, and enjoyed it so much, I have carried on making them.  Here's a photo of the progress so far


 

It seemed sensible to continue with the snowball, so I pulled out a few fabrics (and didn't photo them) and turned them into another snowball block



So now I have another block added to my snowball quilt, which will remind me of my stop on the Travellin' Pic Stitch Blog hop.

Thanks for visiting my little blog, and don't forget to check out the other pariticpants listed  here.  Yesterday was the turn of Teje at Nero's Post and Patch and tomorrow it will be Jennifer at  knotted thread.  So hop over and check out their photo's and blocks.

Update 30/11/2012
Since writing this I have made another 3 blocks and my sister in law has made another 3 or 4 so (more of that in another post)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From 1st October - 30th November we are hopping all over the world EPP-ing in some fantastic locations.  Check out the full list and be sure to check out the other participants.

And of course, thanks to Katy and Laura for organising it.  I've had great fun checking out everyone else's photos and blocks

Full details of the competition can be found here.

13 comments:

  1. Hi Dianne! All your snowball blocks are so beautiful but mostly I love this last one! Colours are great and of course the little bird makes it special! Thank you for sharing your Kina story. x Teje

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hoorah for the turquoise top.

    Lovely blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The colours are gorgeous together and, yes, hooray for the turquoise top which makes the whole thing pop.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you did a great job matching fabrics to the photo. Your story that goes with it is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fabulous EPP and great fabric choices

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh this is lovely! I really need to get me some of those templates & get some piecing done :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Super block and tale. Get you with the long locks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your block is lovely using the palette. And how cool to go to China!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yep...that turquoise adds a much needed pop of colour. I love the idea of matching a block to the backdrop of a country you've visited. Genius!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You fit perfectly in with the colour scheme, well planned! Great job on the block too :o)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your snowballs Di and the one you did for the blog hop is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What gorgeous photos and block!!! thanks for joining in! So nice to see your special place!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love Beijing, your photo brought back happy memories! The Paper piecing is lovely, that's a great pattern!

    ReplyDelete