12 December 2012

WIP Wednesday



I'm making my last few presents for Christmas.   We're going to friends for lunch on Sunday, and I'd like to make them a cushion (pillow).  I bought this book ages ago




On the face of it, it's full of very dull, boring blocks, but I think there are loads in here that would be really pretty, given a modern makeover. I've already used one for my zippy puch in the Mouthy Stitches swap


P1030886 

This time I'm using Izutsu kuzushi



It was a challenge because it's full of part-sewn seam.  I like using this technique - all of a sudden, what looks like a complete mess, turns into something like the picture!

Here's my effort



It's not perfect - the final part sewn seam was quite tricky and some of the seams are a bit skew-wiffy, but it's not bad for a first effort, and once it's quilted, I don't think you'll  hope you won't notice.  But I won't be trying to straight line quilt around the strips, that's for sure!

Linking up to WIP wednesday over at Freshly Pieced

14 comments:

  1. Brilliant Di! Totally agree, its a great book too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your pouch with a flower, an echo quilting is great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like some of the neutral blocks on the cover but I like your idea of freshening them up with some colour. You did good !

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks great, and the blocks really perk up with the colour. I learned partial seams at SS, and have been making up my mum and dad's Christmas quilt with some, I love how it all pops together at the end!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very cool! I have that book (and her other one) - still haven't really made much, but they both have some great blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very cool! I'll have to see if I can find that book in our library system! Love Japanese sewing/quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That looks very nice. I like the colour combination too, looks really springy :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. The book looks really good, I could do with some, "calm and tranquil"

    Fiona x

    ReplyDelete
  9. ooohhh I adore your block!! The pouch is gorgeous too. Gotta love turned beige to the bright side :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's going to look great in a cushion

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh. Really great Di. I've had that book for years and often thumbed through it, but never made anything from it. I'll have to look through again now that you have me inspired.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You have a lovely blog! I found you by way of Canadian Abroad. One of my favorite books is Rebecca, too!

    ReplyDelete