14 January 2013

Happy Yummy Sunday

It was a snowy day yesterday (and again today) so I turned down a walk today and got stuck into my Happy Yummy quilt.  It's only small so I was able to baste, quilt and attach the binding all in one day.  I even remembered to take a few photos!

On my new design wall

Top pieced

On the machine
Finished in about 2 hours

I used a wandering loopy stitch which some would say was rather appropriate!

Ready for the hand stitching
The pink binding is way more of a shocking pink than it looks here, but it was the best I could get.  I went to a local shop for the backing and the binding, because on the internet, I just couldn't tell what would go with it. I am pleased to see that the quality of their fabrics is much improved in the two years since I started quilting.  Prices are going up accordingly, but even so it's still only around 4 pounds a metre.  Still not the same quality and design as the american fabrics, but if you can find something you like, it's great for binding and backing.  I don't trust the colour fastness though, after my debacle with this red binding, so it's all pre-washed.

This is my first post on my new laptop, which is very similar to the old one, but it's a czech keyboard (so no pound signs and things are in slightly different places) and it's got new Windows and Office on it, so that's all different. It will take a time to get used to it, and set all my links up.  But it is fast, the touchpad works properly, and so far it hasn't switched itself off!  However (there's always a however) my e-mails aren't working at the moment. I hope we can sort that later today, but for the time being, if you've sent me a mail, I can't read it yet.

17 comments:

  1. Such a pretty quilt. Love all those little squares in the border.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks gorgeous! I really love the pattern and the fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well that looks like a fine finish to me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It really is a very pretty quilt and with that beautiful border, reminds me of a stamp. Hope you are enjoying the snow :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. ohhh lovely quilt, very yummy, love the sashing and then the little block border... :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. it looks wonderful xx hope you continue to have fun with your new laptop... when it sorts itself out !! lol x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your Mochi is Yum Yum indeed, love the pattern too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is such a fun quilt, I border is perfect and the quilting makes it look nice and crinkly. You are going to have your first finish in no time.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks fab! Good luck with the teething problems with the new toy, I can't get mine to scan right now - grrr.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great job on a very pretty quilt Dianne! Love the pattern. Hope you get your e-mail sorted out!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's lovely!! Have fun with your new toy!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love that border. Its very sweet. I think that quilting was the perfect choice too.

    I love getting new technology ...I can spend hours playing with it and working out how it works. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great quilt, but how many clips do you use!!??

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is really pretty and fresh looking. I may have a touch of quilt envy. And you FMQ is amazing. I tried it once but it just looked like a bairn had scrawled over the quilt top.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Loopy nah. It's really pretty and I love the loopy quilting.
    It always takes time getting to know new hardware, but it's fun too.

    ReplyDelete
  16. The quilt is coming along just beautifully. Glad you got the laptop situation sorted out

    ReplyDelete
  17. I think the quilt top is really pretty. I loved Happy Mochi Yum, but never bought any of the fabric because I didn't know what to do with it. It looks great in this design.

    ReplyDelete