05 January 2013

Happy Yummy

Saturday morning, Gordon is still snoozing and I'm up writing a post.  Life is back to normal after Christmas.  Much as I like Christmas, I love to get the house back to normal - tree out, deckies down, cards away etc. etc.    It won't last long though, because during these winter month we usually get the paintbrush out.  Unfortunately the dining room (more importantly my sewing room) is going to get the treatment this year, which means I've got to get out of there for a while.   Never mind, we are usually very quick decorators!

Life is also much happier since Thursday's trip to my dentist who has now sorted out my tooth once and for all (I hope!)

Back in December I was searching for some fabric to make a quilt for my soon to be great niece or nephew.  In the end, I decided on some fabric that I've loved for ages and never bought, Happy Mochi Yum Yum.  I chose it because I thought it was a fairly neutral boy/girl fabric, but when it arrived it was definitely very girly.  So I had to wait to see what arrived.   Just before Christmas, I became a great aunt again - my nephew Simon and his wife Rose, who live in Sydney, had a little girl called Elana Rose.  So guess what I've been doing.


I've called it my Happy Yummy quilt, because I always get the name of this fabric mixed up!  I love my new design wall by the way.  It is so helpful to be able to step back at any stage and see how you are doing.   I'm following the Jungle Path Quilt pattern by SewcraftyJess.  The sashing between the blocks is done, and now I've just got to decide how to do the borders.  Of course, as normal, I have no fabric yet for the binding and the back.  I did have some nice flannel that I bought ages ago in the sale for just such and occasion, but can I find it anywhere?  No.

And just so as you don't think I've been idling, I have done a couple of blocks towards the penultimate strip for our Stitch Tease Bee.  I've been doing some paper pieceing, which always takes longer than I think it will, but I'm very pleased with the results. Which of course I can't show you because it's a secret bee! 

Have a happy weekend everyone.  We're off to see the Hobbit tonight - look at us eh?  Saturday night out!

15 comments:

  1. That is going to be the most beautiful baby girl quilt. Enjoy the film.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on being a great-aunt! Such a lovely baby quilt, the colours are gorgeous and I just love the pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is beautiful! Congrats on being a great aunt :o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh that's so pretty, love the colours and the pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is so beautiful and those fabrics are really yummy! x Teje

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations Great Auntie! It's a super baby quilt and yea for people who don't have backing and binding sorted.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Smashing quilt blocks, vibrant, colourful and classy.

    Fiona x

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think your quilt is very pretty and girly. I never have backing and binding sorted, and often not borders either! It's much easier to see what looks best once the centre to is done.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's lovely Di! I made my zigzag quilt with Happy Mochi YumYum and it was really lovely to sew with. I'm sure your great niece will be thrilled with it. Can't imagine how you are old enough to have a great niece by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy Yummy looks gorgeous! I intend to do that pattern at some point, it's very cool!
    Hope you enjoy the film and happy decorating :)
    Oh and as of last year I'm a great aunt too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looking great, and yes, definitely girly :oD

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, you made me envious twice...
    I always wanted that fabric, too
    and a saturday night out with my husband would be great!
    You Happy Yummy quilt is gonna be so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You must have known in your heart that the baby would be a girl. Good for you...it's a lovely quilt. Date night, that's nice. We are having no dining out for a month...the new diet!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Loving that fabric. It's so cute and girly. Those blocks are interesting too. Love the pops of white through each one.

    ReplyDelete