Do you remember back in spring, I asked The Question That No-one Ever Asks. Why do people knit socks? Helen is a very accomplished sock knitter - one of her posts sparked the question, and I got a very comprehensive answer. So instead of just poo pooing sock knitting I gave it a try. You may remember these photos of sock no. 1
Sock No 1 was finished in May, and since then I have been an infrequent sock knitter. But I have plodded on, getting quite a bit done over Christmas. And finally, when others were out partying on New Years Eve, at approximately 10:55 pm, I finished sock number 2.
|Spiderman watching on with interest. He's probably thinking they would match his outfit!|
And both of them together
|By now we had moved on to Reservoir Dogs - I really really hate this film!|
Here’s your reasons …
- 1.They are comfort food for your feet. I never pull on a pair of delicious bright, smooshy, soft, cosy socks and don’t think aaaaaah. - I've not had time to confirm or deny this yet. Certainly from a brief wearing of them, they are very comfortable and they don't droop down like I thought they would
- 2. Every time I look at a newly and nicely turned heel I have a sense of achievement – a ‘wow aren’t you clever’ pat on the back. -It was certainly one of those "Oh look!" when it all drops into place.
- 3. Socks are small and can be whipped up in next to no time. - Well it took me the best part of 8 months, but I did get distracted halfway through with EPP! Under normal circumstance, I would agree with this one!
- 4 Socks can be as outrageous as you like and it’s okay! This is hugely liberating! - Totally agree with this one.
- 5. Because they are small, socks are easy on the wallet and before long sock knitters accumulate a multicoloured yarn stash - Not going there, I can tell you that right now!
- 5. Socks are immensely portable and can be popped into your handbag – totally agree. Great for holidays too.
- 6. Handknitted socks make the perfect gift for half the population. The other half see them as the gift from hell, so it’s important you know who you are dealing with.- Any friends or family reading this can drop me a line to let me know which camp you are in, just in case I'm tempted to give them as gifts!
- 7. Amazing as it may seem, there are endless variations of socks out there – you need never get bored knitting socks. I am already looking for the next pattern!
- 8. Of course handknit socks are a bit of a lifestyle item – they work for me because I work from home, live in the country, own an AGA and would raise chickens if I could. They are probably not your thing if you wear stilettos to a smart office every day and lots of skirts. - I think I fit into this category too!
- 9. Once you have worn a fabulous pair of hand-knit socks I defy you to ever go back to your old ways! - Too soon to tell. As I currently have just the one pair, I think I will have to fall back on M& S!