07 January 2013

Q1 FAL 2013

she can quilt


The start of a new years prompts us all to look a bit more closely at our lives - what we do, how we do it, what makes us happy, what we are dissatisfied with.  I am no excption, and whilst I'm not one to make resolutions, for me it's a good opportunity to make a few changes.   In recent years I tend to stress out way more than I ever used to , so I do whatever I can to avoid these situations.  I found I was getting stressed out by my sewing and blogging because I was trying to do too much.  Committing to too many QALs, swaps, doing things because I saw other people doing them, and maybe if I do, then more people will follow my blog/ read and comment/ be my firend.  It did cause more than a few "heated discussions" in the Quiltova household, let me tell you!  My husband is very tolerant of my sewing , but not when he sees me getting wound up about it.

So it stops now.  I will sew, join QALs, bees and swaps, if I they are really what I want to do.  I continue to  read the blogs that make me smile a lot, and comment when I have something interesting and witty to say!  I will stop trying to be something I feel I should be, and concentrate on being what I am.  I will be prioritising and planning, mindful of all the other things I want to do.  Some of you may feel that this is taking the spontineaity out of sewing, but it's how I cope.  Hopefully I will be so calm and serene by the the FQR in July, you may not recognise me!

So with my new serene head on my calm shoulders, I am only going to commit to 2 finishes this quarter.  I have bee blocks to do, a quilt to sew up for Helen for our Stitch Tease Bee, and I'm going to be AWOL for some of the quarter too, so this is what I think I can realistically finish.

I have to finish my Happy Yummy quilt and get it off in the post to Oz. I don't think there will be too much of a problem with this one


 

And I want to finish my Mod Pod quilt.  I love the pattern so much but truthfully, I don't like doing the curves.  So I want to get this out of the way, and spend the rest of my days avoiding them. 



 

 Lets see if I can achieve these finishes in a warm, golden glow, not all stressy and spikey!
















19 comments:

  1. Good on you for speaking it out aloud. The things you listed are exactly the reason I haven't begun a blog. I would love to share, but firstly the time commitment required and then the feeling of "pressure" put me off. I wish you well on your quest for serenity! Now if only my daily life was ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Totally with you on the whole stressy thing - doing too much, blog, blah, blah. I went through a really similar thing last year and when I came out the other side of it all I had a more realistic view on the whole thing. I like blogging so I do so. But if I can't read others, comment, reply to every email, etc then so what. Life is more important. And sewing is supposed to be enjoyable. So hope you find your happy place too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brilliant post - I think lots of us feel that way (i know I do!) especially about the doing things because everyone else is. I've made much the same decision about not over-committing this year :o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Serenity Dianne! I totally agree with Susan and felt the same recently. I just want to sew what I love, comment when I can and blog when I like :)
    I'd like a picture of that glow too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good plan.

    I'm new so I'm not under any pressure to do or join anything.

    I'll be on my guard though.

    Fiona x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love both those quilts. Once you finish those curves you will never worry about them again. Have a glass of wine before you do the next batch, seriously, it will help. I like you new attitude, it is perfect. Do what is fun and what you have time to do today, and relax. I am looking forward to seeing you again in July.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Helen is certainly looking forward to her quilt!!! And to seeing the new serene Di in the summer!!!
    You are of course perfectly right and talking a lot of sense - I shall be following suite!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree totally. There's no sense in getting stressed out and putting pressure on yourself for no reason. I like blogging but at the moment I'm finding it hard to put time aside for it. I want this year to be about the process and enjoyment. I i love both of these quilts, they are really pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Totally agree with you-we are meant to be sewing because we love it! Look forward to seeing your finishes

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well said! The point of the blog and quilting is to make you happy, not stressed!

    Somehow I have missed the Mod Pop QAL and have to say I LOVE your blocks. So sorry you are not enjoying them - I have the same feelings about curves.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Chapeau! I think you are so right, sewing should be fun. It is our hobby, after all. I'm quite pleased with myself as I just said 'no' to a swap because I realised that I don't have the time to do that right now. Maybe we're growing up? I can always hope...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hear, hear! This time last year I decided to view my 'unread posts' list as a menu and pick those I wanted to read, rather than feeling obliged to read all of them. I also gave myself permission to not comment on every blog post I read and to also leave very short comments if I wanted to admire something but didn't have the time/energy/concentration to say more. It's working really well and it's so ingrained now that I hope I never go back to the 'I must read and comment on thirty blogs today' days...

    I love your FAL projects - have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love your new philosophy Di. I think we all buy into the "I have to do this because " stuff at one point or another. Blogging and sewing are meant to be stress releases not the cause of more anxiety. Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh you have to do what you want to do for sure (I should listen to myself too!).
    Love the Mod Pop - it should make you happy to finish it xxx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Good luck! I shall watch you float into the room in July :o)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sewing and blog related "discussions" happen a lot here. too. G and P will have a lot to talk about and compare notes in July. I am cutting back too and I think you need to do what makes you happy. #1 priority. I'll be your cheerleader, my friend

    ReplyDelete
  17. I felt like I might have written this post - well said.
    Looks like we will be Mod Popping along together this quarter.

    ReplyDelete
  18. wise words, and a couple of beautiful quilts that you are creating

    ReplyDelete
  19. Well said! If it becomes a chore, it's not enjoyable, and it's supposed to be fun. I don't know about you, but I find normal life stressful enough!

    ReplyDelete