16 January 2013

WIP Wednesday

Just to let you know I'm going for Super Hero status here!   Having got the Happy Yummy quilt off the machine, and having  procrastinated long enough, I finally got the Mod Pod quilt out on Monday night.  I laid out 3 blocks on towels so that I could roll them up and they wouldn't take up much space

Spot the diliberate error - I did but too late




Then I tackled all the curves all at once.  FirstI used Leanne's no pin, hold it up in the air method with pretty poor results.  So the second I tried sewing from each end into the middle.  This was a little better, but long winded.  The third one, I sewed without pins, but just sewing a few stitches at a time, then edging round a bit, sewing a few more, edging round.  It was a bit slow, but I got the best results this way.  Maybe, just maybe, I've cracked those curves! (please, I hope the gremlins aren't listing).  So in 24 hours I managed another 3 blocks, 75% more than I have in the last 8 months!!!

Here's the progress so far



Unfortunately, I have had to pack up my sewing room/ dining room as we are giving it a quick lick of paint over the weekend.  So we're back on hold again, but at least I've only got another 4 blocks to make for the queen size.   Hopefully it won't take me another 8 months to do those!

I'm linking up with Lee's WIP wednesday over here, if you'd like to see what other people are up to

14 comments:

  1. oooh, it looks fabulous. Great idea to put it on towels so that you can roll it up

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking good. Love that idea of using a towel to lay out the block. I'm going to copy that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Woot, well done! Great idea with the towel too

    ReplyDelete
  4. They look so cool together, love the colours you chose.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is amazing, and I love the colours.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great job, I love the colors you've chosen. Keep working at those curves! They just take practice.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This one will be worth the wait. It's going to be lovely

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is looking gorgeous. I got the finger out too and have been cutting madly.
    I can't sew those curves without using just one pin at the centre points of each curve and then I find it quite easy if fiddly.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's going to be super gorgeous Di - good luck at cracking the curves..it will be worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is gorgeous. I love the movement in the blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You find the best easy way to sew it. I hope, you manage it in ... months (substitute number, you like, smaller than 8).

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your blocks are beautiful! I hope you get back to it after the painting is done. I am sure you will find the best way for sewing the curves for you but don't give up. I have to recommend a glass of wine or some music to sing along to or maybe a walk before you start the curves. Often they are easier if you are more relaxed.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good on you for experimenting with the best method to sew curves. I've never tried them, too scared! I'm not good at them in garment sewing so can't see it working in quilts, and I like to go fast! But they do look lovely though.

    ReplyDelete