26 March 2013

Le Challenge

Le Challenge

Have you all seen "Le Challenge" that Lucy and Nat are running?  The idea is to make a little something based on their monthly theme, which for this month is "Geometrics".  Now, I was getting a bit bored doing this:


and was faced with these


 so decided to start something new, as one does!  I've been threatening to re-new my cushion covers for ages, and had a few ideas in my head which would fit nicely into the geometric theme.  I swift half and hour on t'interweb and I'd found a nice pattern that I though I could reproduce.


The only way I could work out how to make it was to paper piece it.  I guess you can do it with a special ruler, but I don't have one! Here's the little pattern I made


And inspired by this cushion from my friend Di, I pulled out some fabrics and off I went.  Here's the first two blocks


The points don't quite reach all the way to the join on any of the blocks, and I kept to all the lines exactly.  I guess there's a little trick there that I missed.

I've now finished the cushion front , but I'm not sure if I'm supposed to show it as I go along or keep it a secret until the finish date, so I'll save it for later.  When I showed it to Gordon his reaction was totally under-whelming.  Mind you, he hates cushions with a passion, so it's unlikely he'd like any cushion cover, no matter how nice!  He nearly fainted when we were out shopping yesterday and I bought two new cushion pads!!!

By the way, thanks to everyone for their good wishes to the cat - Brynnie Scissorcat as he is now know



Did they really have to shave off quite so much fur?  He's been an excellent patient - he kept his stocking on for almost 5 days, and has not complained too much about not being allowed out.  Actually it's been cold, windy, and now snowy, so you can see him sniggering behind his paw when the others get chucked out, and he can stay in!  He's back to the vets on Friday to have the stitches taken out, then I guess we can let him out again.

Right, off now to do a few chores before sewing some more of those blocks.

12 comments:

  1. Ohhh Dianne I love your sneak peek!! Thanks for joining in and I say save the reveal for the linky party! ;)
    Hope the cat is ok, that does look like a lot of fur taken off :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really love your blocks and they are perfect for Le Challenge. I've designed my piece too but that's it. I haven't had the time to start yet so I really should get a move on.
    I hope everything goes well on Friday and that the vet is happy with your cat's progress.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Dianne! Your blue quilt is going to be so beautiful! I hope your cat is well now - what happened to him?! Often the vet shaves so big area, i guess it's to avoid infections. Sunny wishes! x Teje

    ReplyDelete
  4. your projects look good. The quilt will be lovely and the cushion...those points look good to me.
    Now the cat...I hope that fur grows back. After our dog had surgery the follicles never quite recovered.
    4 months until I see you again. Can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looking good, can't wait to see the grand reveal!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Loving the look of those blocks - are the seam allowances a true 1/4"? - seems like a simple question, but if it is a little larger, they will never meet, but better than losing the points ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for sharing le challenge love! Cannot wait to see the final reveal! Hope your cat gets better!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Poor kitty! Glad he's doing well

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the paper piecing!! And that poor wee cat. Get him a wee little fur toupee to cover up the bald spot.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm not really a cat lover, but you have to make the poor thing a coat for the snow!

    ReplyDelete
  11. So good to hear there is another husband out there who doesn't gush over his wife's every make! The cushion looks fab and I say keep it for the linky. Hope cat is doing okay - what happened??

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your scrappy blue and white project is coming along nicely.

    I think your cushion project looks fabulous.

    And Im so glad your cat is on the mend. He looks seriously affronted by the missing patch of fur but trust me it’ll grow back (eventually!)

    ReplyDelete