16 March 2013

Vietnam Part 1

I'm not usually one for endless holidays photos on my blog, but Vietnam is so different to any other place we've visited, and probably most of you have visited, I wanted to give you a bit of a feel for it.  I won't bore you with the monuments and temples (oh and there are a lot, but when you've seen one buddist temple, largely speaking, you've  seen them all!)  So I've attempted to pick out some funny/interesting/strange/beautiful/different things for you to see. 

I've started with the streets, as they are the most amazing places.  I must've walked around with my mouth open most of the time!  The one thing that you notice first of all is the traffic.  You don't just notice it - it comes up and smacks you around the head!   If you look at nothing else, have a look at this video

 

This was our first afternoon, when we were badly jet-lagged!  And still we survived! The trick is to keep going slowly, and not stop, and the traffic magically parts and goes around you.






Vietnam lorry

Waiting for a train to pass at a level crossing
The figure on the right is me, having just cycled across 3 million motor bikes coming in the opposite direction! You can only guess at how much swearing was going on!
Vietnamese telecom


The streets at night

They have a problem with rubbish


New technology meets old
That's all for today folks.  Thanks to those who have made it through to the end.  Tomorrow I'll show you some of the street food.

11 comments:

  1. Thanks for the blast from the past for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha, love the magically parting traffic! Reminds me quite a bit of Malaysia with the mad driving

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMGosh...I can almost smell the streets. Great photos and brave YOU for crossing that street

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brilliant photos Di - and I think you were amazingly brave to ride a bike there!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really want to go to Vietnam ...and your photos just confirmed that for me. Absolutely brilliant. Im not sure about all that traffic though!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gret photos Di - thanks for sharing. Looking forward to the street food photos!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow they were amazing. I especially liked the "lorry".

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you so much fo sharing your photos - I doubt if it is a place I will ever get to but it looks absolutely amazing! Colourful and full of life, what a fantastic experience.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, what a place. Thank you for sharing, I will look for more. I bet you had a wonderful time.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What an interesting country, so different from anywhere I have been before (although traffic in Naples is no fun either). It must have been quite an experience and I hope we get the time to hear a bit more at FQR!

    ReplyDelete