22 March 2013

Vietnam - Street Food



Firstly, whilst admitting that I have no real idea why I am doing it, I am claiming my blog on bloglovin.

Follow my blog with Bloglovin

I don't use any reader, so I'm not mourning the loss of Google reader.  I just read the blogs I follow from the blogger dashboard.  It gives me a nice photo, the header, and a little bit of the text.  This makes me happy!  But as it's taken so long to get to 89 followers, I'm not risking losing any!!

To continue, here's a few more photos from Vietnam.  This time of the street food.  People get very excited about street food, but to be honest if you could see the conditions in which much of it is cooked, and you don't have the time or the inclination to risk a dose of the screaming Dhwli-belly, you would probably give eating it a miss!  But it does look good, and is so far away from a standard western "meal out", that it is truly fascinating to see. 


This is "beer corner" in Hanoi.   You can get local beer here very cheaply, in any one of a dozen bars around this junction and because there is a high turnover, it's very good.  But you'd never get my husband's bum on one of these stools without it exploding underneath him!



  



Bring on the flies






On the last evening, we threw caution to the wind, and ate here, mainly because it looked cleaner and more professional, and the chairs were much bigger!







The food here was really great, and so much of it.  These prawns were more like lobsters!  The atmosphere whilst sitting out in a busy market cum kitchen was fantastic, and was a really good end t the holiday.

So tell me, would you have eaten street food?




15 comments:

  1. Your holiday must have been just so amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. were you ok after eating there? Was husband stuck in the chair or were you able to leave with out taking the chair with you ? If answers were yes... then I probably would eat the food He-He xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I ate street food lots. My rule was only eat it if it was straight out of a hot pan and onto my plate. Anything that had been sitting for any length of time was avoided. I also probably had a cast iron stomach from years of travelling. That might have helped, but I still think the hot from the pan rule was an important one. Had amazing noodles and sat on those little stools one very late night in Saigon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great pics! I have had some of my best meals from street vendors, but I would always have a good look at the turnover rate of the stall before I went anywhere near it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cool pics. Thanks for sharing them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'd definitely eat street food . Its all part of the experience. But I'd probably be a bit cautious about choosing somewhere larger and cleaner to eat at like you did.

    Amazing pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes I love street food - I agree with Susan and also eat where there are lots of locals :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. with care :)) we have had street food in India and survived :))

    ReplyDelete
  9. If its good enough for the locals, I'm in; although I may be more cautious with the kiddies in tow . Looks amazing xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ha, love that you chose your dining establishment by the chair size, although I suppose bigger chairs = bigger arses = lots of full and satisfied previous customers ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'd certainly give the beer corner a try, but I'd probably try to be rather cautious about the food. Susan's suggestion seems good, though. And it all looks so interesting, thank you so much for sharing the photos.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'd be really cautious about street food, only because I hate being sick. If there's anything worse than a stomach upset its a stomach upset when you're on holiday. Susan's rule seems a good one though. A good travel rule they advise us over here in Australia is always drink bottled drinks, beer, water everything.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I would have been like you and chosen the cleanest looking place and definitely cooked food. Maybe a noodle dish.

    ReplyDelete