03 April 2013

Don't you just love it?

Spring I mean?   I do usually, and this time last year we were well into the installation of the pool.  But look at what it's been like this week

Sunday - we had about 8 inches of snow, of the wet, sticky kind.  


I just had to stay inside and sew, just to cheer myself up!  Oh and the Victoria sponge helped too!


Monday - temperatures dropped overnight, and Monday was just like a spring skiing sort of day


We managed a lovely walk with the dogs, and I got out and pruned the apple trees

And then today, we're back to Sunday's weather.  Not quite so much snow, but even wetter than Sunday


Hopefully though that's the last of the snow (I must stop saying that!), and next week it is warming up to 10 degrees plus.  Still not what we expect at this time of the year.  We should be rotovating by now, ready for planting the early crops.  Somehow I don't think so! 

During this enforced confinement, I have been able to keep plodding on with the Blue Lagoon quilt.  As I've said before, it's a boring quilt to do, and there have been times when I've felt like screaming at it, but the top is finished at last, save for the border, and I think it's worth all the effort




I was pressing the seams out this afternoon, ready to record my progress, when I the iron gave up the ghost.  It has had a hard life though.   So I'm going to have to go out tomorrow and buy a new one.  I never thought I'd say that I couldn't live without an iron!  Anyway here's a photo of a not-very-well-pressed top held by a not-very-willing husband.  It was a case of right now, or not at all so no time for tidyng up!

I have ordered some pretty blue and white Tula fabric for the back, a bargain  at $5.80 a yard from the Pink Castle Fabrics sale.  Of course, you do have to add to that the extortionate postage  and possibly customs/VAT if I'm unlucky, but it's still a bargain.  This is going to be one of my finishes for the Q2 FAL, hoping this will give me the encouragement to finish it.

20 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your quilt, it's beautiful. I just adore this blue/white color combo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I looks terrific - well done, really worth sticking at xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. well if you HAVE to stay in the house... what better way to spend your time than sewing and eating cake !! Have fun and stay safe xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think this quilt is perfect, and with G holding it up, I can see it is quite large. Bed size?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm freezing just looking at your pictures! The quilt looks great, too, BTW. I would love to make one like it. Just a funa dn gorgeous set up.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's a really lovely quilt top Di and I can just imagine it looking gorgeous and wrinkled after being quilted. Yes - it does look big! Sorry about the snow - around 25°C here but I'll be smiling on the other side of my face in a few weeks :(

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm still chiselling ice off the windscreen in the mornings - sad moment this morning when I finally ran out of de-icer *sob* I'm not sure that's a lagoon so much as an ocean sized quilt, but glad you got to the end of the piecing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Di its looking lovely. And I'm totally with you on the iron thing.. lol

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your quilt is well worth all the effort! It is a beauty. I hope spring comes to you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Boo, on the snow, but I love your quilt top. It's wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the quilt top, simple but effective! And don't start me on the weather, i've normally got my potatoes in by this time and there would be no point this year as the weather is absolutely freezing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. It may be boring to make but it's stunning to look at. I love blue and white quilts.
    As for the weather, "no comment" :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's a lovely top. The longer I stare at the picture, the more patterns I see in it. Wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  15. what a fabulous quilt top!We've had that wet horrid snow all day here too - and its still sooo cold

    ReplyDelete
  16. It seems Spring didnt get the memo!

    My iron always goes at crucial times too.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I can see we have similar amount of snow, this spring is so slow in coming. But we had the best Easter Monday ever, with snowball fights instead of the traditional splashing with cold water.
    I love your Blue Lagoon - it might be boring to make but it looks beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I get what you mean by boring to piece, but the blue and white quilt is magnificent to look at. Gosh I can't believe the snow and cold snap to enter spring the northern hemisphere is having. We're having quite a warm autumn here in South Australia, but it'll get cold soon. The nights are already getting down to 10*C. My iron shit itself at Easter two years ago. A whole weekend of sewing planned and I couldn't get a new iron because of the four day public holiday. Timing I tell ya!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love the blues in this quilt, sorry to hear it gave you the blues but you did well to finish it :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Sorry about the iron. Your blue and white quilt might be boring to sew but it sure is pretty!!

    ReplyDelete