21 April 2013

Sew and Sow

Apologies to Mrs Sew and Sow for nicking her pun, but that's exactly what I was doing on Friday!  We've had beautiful weather this week, so I've been outside weeding and pruning, raking and sowing in every available spare moment. Consequently there has been very little sewing.  But Friday,  it was rainy all day so I had a few hours sewing and a few hours sowing.

Out in the greenhouse we have tomatoes and sweet potatoes already quite established
And newly sown peppers, chillis, herbs, sweet peas, and osteospermum.


In the sewing room, I have completed two blocks for Celine in the Sew Euro-bee-an Bee.

Celine asked us to make  this block using bright colours , fussy cut, texty prints.  My texty prints and fussy cut fabrics are a bit limited but I hope I did the bright colours OK .  This will be going out to Celine next week.

I should be stocking up on my texty prints in the not too distant future as I have entered this charm swap - my first one.  I have ordered this fabric from this on-line shop here in cz.  I hadn't visited for a while and was amazed how her range of fabrics has improved in leaps and bounds.  She has Noteworthy, Cuzco and Marmalade to name a but a few.  Last week I got this little parcel from her


Beautifully packaged and of course, getting it locally costs around 3 pounds rather than the $24 postage costs now from the US. And her prices are really quite good.  Most fabrics are around 8 or 10 punds a metre, but you can't buy fat quarters.  And get this, she has Aurifil thread!  Only 12 weight quilting thread at the moment, but it's a start!

This is what I have for the Texty swap.  Its called Bucket List from Noteworthy by Sweetwater


There are so many texty fabrics out there, but it was quite hard to find them in the on-line shops.   But everyone seems to be  finding beautiful fabrics, and  I'm going to have to think of something lovely to make when I get all of mine.

Hope everyone is having a good weekend, and a big GOOD LUCK to my nephew Tom who is running in the London Marathon today!  I'll be watching out for you.




12 comments:

  1. Your blocks are lovely and your plants are doing so well. I love that text print you ordered. I hope your nephew does well in the marathon, I expect I will be holding my breath a little bit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to get out in my garden and plant my toms, but i've been too busy this week, hopefully next week! Celine will love the blocks, they're beautiful. Good Luck Tom, and to my brother Mark who is doing it for the first time! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, you have been efficient this week! Good luck to Tom, I'm just watching it now :o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I must do my blocks but am worried about whether I shall find any novelty prints! I am envious of your new fabric supplier but so wonderful for you as I hear you on the postal charges.Good luck to your nephew!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fantastic news bout the local quilt shop fabrics! I do love Sweetwater. Hope nephew did okay :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. How nice that the fabric shops are catching up with the rest of the world. Soon you will have a modern quilt guild.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I also spend few time gardening and sewing. But my plants grow for only two days (they are still seeds). The texty fabric is great.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love seeing all your planting on the way . I keep saying I'm going to do something like that but I never quite seem to get around to it.

    Im a big fan of texty fabrics. Cant wait to see what you end up with from the swap.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It looks like you had a wonderful weekend of sowing and sewing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Celine's bee blocks look wonderful. I'm starting on mine today, however, I haven't got many texty fabrics so I'm not sure if mine will look as nice as yours.
    I'm hoping to go and tidy up may garden a bit as well as the weeds have completely taken over.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really like that texty fabric you got, I'm not a huge fan of them but I love that one.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks like a great week of gardening and sewing. I love that block. I've bookmarked the tute. How lucky to find a Czech fabric store with good prices! Are you spending all your time on their website? I would be!!

    ReplyDelete