16 April 2013

Stitch Tease 2 - my makes

During the space of the last 12 months  my fellows stitch teasers have forced me to face some very scarey demons!

Katy wanted a block that fit in with her signature fabric - rockets, cars and bikes.  I wanted to make an appliqued American car for her, and was struggling to find just the right one.  We were out in the car one day, when I spied the perfect one, sitting outside a bar in the neighbouring town of Lednice.  I screamed for my husband to stop, nearly causing a heart attack and an accident, in no particular order!   This was the car in question, a russian made GAZ Volga, outside the Volga Inn


And so Katy's block was born. 



Annabella wanted circles.  Thanks Annabella!  But I battled my demons and put together a not-bad version of the Limes and Lemons block.

Danny's remit for her block was "anything goes"  Just as long as it's bright.  So I thought about what I would really like to make and came up with three paper pieced stars.  It turns out paper pieced starts are one of Danny's favourites!

Hadley's block on the face of it was relatively easy - random blocks with the odd white block thrown in.  But she was pretty specific about colours, and those of you that know Hadley, well, would you like to choose fabrics for her? 
Susan wanted wonky stars, but white stars on a scrappy background.   Surprisingly I find wonky very hard, as I always want to make this straight and balanced!  But I think I did a reasonably wonky job this time!


My namesake Di , wanted a strip with a word and things associated with it.  Di lives in California where the weather is almost always perfect and she longs for cold and windy weather.  A novel view of the weather I feel! I often volunteer to swap places but she hasn't taken me up on it yet!.  I decided to make her the 4 seasons of weather, so that she can look at whatever weather she likes, whenever she feels like it!

Spring showers, summer sunshine



Windy autumn and snowy winter
And last but not least, Helen wanted more wonky stars, but more traditionally patterns stars on a plain background.  I made the final block (mine is top left) and put them all together
 

I can't say which one I like best, but making Katy's so early on gave me a lot of pleasure and confidence to move onto the others.

Sadly,  that's the end of this round of the Stitch Tease bee. It's been great fun, I've got to know some lovely people, and improved my sewing techniques into the bargain.  Win, win I think.  The second round will start very soon, minus Danny unfortnately, but with 5 new ladies.  I'm looking forward to getting going again!

18 comments:

  1. I do love the bees that make you try things you would never do...I think all the quilts look amazing. Good luck on the next round!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you hit the mark on everyone's choices. I'm particularly fond of the car you did for Katy and of course my fabulous weather row! Round 2 here we go!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You all made such lovely quilts with and for each other! I am sure everyone will enjoy the 2nd round.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You did fab blocks for everyone and aced wonky for me. Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You've done loads of wonderful blocks for these quilts and the end results all pretty special. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Each and every one looks fantastic but I'm with you - if I had to pick a favourite it would be Katy's. I LOVE what you did with that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh god we've got to go thru another year of secrets, and with 5 more ladies too?! Ah well. The end results have been good. You did some marvellous work there! Love the thought that you put into Katys car, and well done picking fabrics for Hads ;-) lol

    ReplyDelete
  8. I will tell you what we tell the kids, guidelines and rules make everyone happy, they of course completely ignore us, which is why I like you more!,,

    ReplyDelete
  9. The marital strife was so worth it for that car, love it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your blocks are lovely, each one. What a fun bee.

    ReplyDelete
  11. A great idea, and fab results, well done all of you

    ReplyDelete
  12. All brilliant! The weather block is such a great one!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love all your blocks Di and especially the Lemons & Limes block - I promise to be more gentle April 2014!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love your blocks, Di. I'm sad I won't be continuing but I'll love seeing all your makes!

    ReplyDelete
  15. These are all amazing. I think I need to lie down in a darkened room now.... or pull my finger out and start to finish stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh my goodness that is an awful lot of fabulous sewing. Well done on so many brilliant makes.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow, I love everything here! So beautiful blocks and lots of inspiration! x Teje

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love your blocks Di! Annabellas request for curves would've been my nemesis I think. Appliqué it would've been.

    ReplyDelete