19 May 2013

Bloggers Quilt Festival

The Bloggers Quilt Festival has snook up on me once more.  I was totally oblivious until I saw other bloggers burning the midnight oil trying to get a quilt finished in time.

Earlier this year I finished a quilt that is very lucky it was ever finished.  When I saw that Leanne was running a QAL to make Julie's MOD POD quilt.  I just had to join in.  Two or three years ago, I had saved this tissue box

 
 hoping one day I would be able to work out how to make the pattern into a quiltn.  Then Julie from Distant Pickles came up with this pattern, so I didn't have to worry any more!


Not a bad match.  Having just turned the spare room from an uninspiring office, back to a bedroom, I chose fabrics to go with the new loud turquoise and lime green decor.

 There were a lot of tears and tantrums went into this quilt, let me tell you!  I had never sewn curves before and there were many early Sunday mornings where the blocks nearly went out of the window, followed by the sewing machine.  To begin with, they were truly awful

 
 but I tried several methods of getting those curves neat, and through sheer perseverence, I think they were reasonable good.  I developed my own way of doing them, which took everyone else's tips, strategies and methods, incorporating them in something that worked for me.  I have not sewn a curve since then, and I'm pretty sure I can't remember how I did them!

The quilting was a challenge.  I wanted to echo quilt around each of the circles, but that was something I never managed, so ended up stippling the background, letting the linked circles pop out

 http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-zRWGqFh1DOM/URdxl-MA2eI/AAAAAAAADt0/iuZ9JQNVChM/s1600/P1060378.JPG

I'm so happy with my finished quilt, and I can't help patting it fondly every time I go into the spare room!


Finally, I would like to thank my various animals without whose help, this quilt would never have been finished!!









 Quilt Stats

Name: Mod Pod
Pattern:  Mod Pod by Julie at Distant Pickles
Quilted: by me on my Viking Sapphire 875
Category:  Two colour quilt


22 comments:

  1. Well, it turned out beautifully in the end and matches your spare room perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Dianne! I love your quilt! Colours are so beautiful and the pattern very exiting! I'm happy you found pattern to help you with you great idea! x Teje

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such yummy fresh colours!! It's fun to see all your helpers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you persevered! Beautiful quilt - love that the inspiration came from a tissue box.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Perfect choice for the festival missus, well persevered!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is beautiful and thank goodness the animals helped too :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. The quilt is beautiful and you know I love it, but I also love those cat photos. They seem rather fond of the quilt too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Perseverance paid of, its a beautiful quilt!! We all find our own way in the end.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It is beautiful! It looks really great with those colors. And yay! for getting through those curves!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really love your Mod Pop and so glad it got finished!! How funny about the groovy tissue box?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice job, Dianne! (And cats) Sew sweet how they helped you through every step... Unbelievable that Julie came up with a design so much like your saved tissue box!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Obviously worth all the stress, it's so cool! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really really love everything about this quilt. The colours , the design , the quilting- you totally nailed it.

    Gawd...I had to laugh at you saying the blocks and the sewing machine nearly went out the window, I threaten my machine and sewing projects with the same thing from time to time.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think your tears and perseverance have paid off. Gorgeous finish.

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's brilliant- I'm a bit scared of curves

    ReplyDelete
  16. A lovely entry and my favourite quilt made by you! Great job, Di!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Loves the colors you chose for you quilt! Just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful, such fun fabrics!

    ReplyDelete
  19. beautiful quilt and loved your story of perseverance!

    ReplyDelete