26 May 2013

Euro Siblings Together Bee


Happily our new Euro Siblings Together Bee is up and running, all be it with only 11 people at the moment.   Queen Bees have been allocated their months, and as no-one volunteered for the first month, I took it on.  I searched amongst my books and on line to find a simple block that I could easily size up to the required 18-20".  In the end I opted for a block called linoleum, which doesn't sound very exciting, but  I think it will make a really bright, happy quilt.



This block is from blockcrazy, but I took the original instructions from quilt.com and sized them up to 18".  My instructions can be found here.  And for bee members, I have started a new thread about my block, so feel free to ask any questions.

For my colour inspiration I used this fabric, which I bought ages ago,  to make a childrens quilt but never used.


I still might not use it for this quilt, as I don't have enough for the whole back, but I've asked for blocks in these colours (minus the brown!).

Here's the first block I made


I have asked for the background fabric to be white, so that I can sash the blocks with something bright.  That's the plan anyway!

As I said earlier, we are still looking for a 12th member, if I could persuade anyone to join us.   You wouldn't have to be the Queen bee until right at the end, which would be May next year, and as you can see, we are trying to make the blocks simple and quick.  We are making largely from our own stashes, to keep postage costs down, unless anyone can get any  donations or sponsors for their month.   And you only have to make one block per month.  There, have I persuaded you?  

Our flickr page is here if you want to follow how we are getting on.  I am so looking forward to getting all my blocks in a seeing what the whole thing looks like together!


9 comments:

  1. Looks like fun, but i think my head might explode if i commit to anything else at the moment!!! :O)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like a great choice for the first month! Sorry, but I'm kind of with Ange on this one o.O

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your block Di - sounds like you have a while to find the 12th member. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This week there is a blog hop with mostly Europeans participating so I plan on putting out there about our need for a 12th member, hopefully someone then, if not I have a plan and fabric for us to make another quilt so I can always take the last month also.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never done a bee, but I like your idea, simple easy blocks that are inexpensive. However, I don't have time to do a block a month and I'm not in Europe. Good luck finding a twelfth member.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wish I could help, but my Dr not to mention my husband would hit the roof if I offered. I think I was drinking tea with one of your members on Friday.Good luck. I think I might try and make a block just for fun. Take care Polly xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. looking forward to making this block. I really like the look of it. I've pulled my fabrics and just need to find a little time now during half-term. Not easy but hopefully I'll get it done soon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. this is a great looking block and perfect colors for a child

    ReplyDelete