I had the afternoon to myself yesterday, so I set to quilting the Stitch Tease beast.
I had tried out a few different FMQ patterm, most of which looked rubbish! I did find one I liked, and managed to sew without it looking awful, but then realised it was very much a single direction pattern, and that would have made it very difficult sew without scrunching the whole width of the quilt under the harp of my machine. So in the end I opted for my old favourite, stippling.
I managed to do a whole pass along the length of the quilt, but I wasn't comfortable with how it was going. I seemed to be pushing and pulling too much,the weight of the quilt was taking over and the curves weren't very curvey, if you know what I mean. When things aren't going well, I believe in going back to basics, which for me is Elizabeth Hartman (Oh Franson!) She has a tutorial for quilting a large quilt, which I had most likely used before, but over time I had strayed, developing my own bad habits. Having refreshed myself, I set off again, this time with Shania Twain full blast on the i-pod, and for an hour or more, I was "in the zone".
After a break for tea, I almost changed over to do a bit of regular sewing, but as it was going so well, I thought I'd carry on. BAD MOVE! Within a matter of minutes, I had sewn over a safety pin, broken the needle, and the main shaft that holds the needle was wobbling around in free space. Last time I did this, Gordon had repaired it, but this time, I think it's terminal.
So it was off to the repair shop for me today. It's going to be a minimum of a week, but that is only if there is no parts that need to be re-ordered.
Already I've tidied my sewing room, sorted a few drawers, and swept. Now I'm off to sort out some new projects that can be cut, and some hand sewing. I think it's going to be a long week!