31 May 2013

Then disaster struck

I had the afternoon to myself yesterday, so I set to quilting the Stitch Tease beast.


I had tried out a few different FMQ patterm, most of which looked rubbish!  I did find one I liked, and managed to sew without it looking awful, but then realised it was very much a single direction pattern, and that would have made it very difficult sew without scrunching the whole width of the quilt under the harp of my machine.  So in the end I opted for my old favourite, stippling.


I managed to do a whole pass along the length of the quilt, but I wasn't comfortable with how it was going.  I seemed to be pushing and pulling too much,the weight of the quilt was taking over and the curves weren't very curvey, if you know what I mean.  When things aren't going well, I believe in going back to basics, which for me is Elizabeth Hartman (Oh Franson!)  She has a tutorial for quilting a large quilt, which I had most likely used before, but over time I had strayed, developing my own bad habits. Having refreshed myself,  I set off again, this time  with  Shania Twain full blast on the i-pod, and for an hour or more, I was "in the zone".   

After a break for tea, I almost changed over to do a bit of regular sewing, but as it was going so well, I thought I'd carry on.  BAD MOVE!  Within a matter of minutes, I had sewn over a safety pin, broken the needle, and the main shaft that holds the needle was wobbling around in free space.  Last time I did this, Gordon had repaired it, but this time, I think it's terminal.

So it was off to the repair shop for me today.   It's going to be a minimum of a week, but that is only if there is no parts that need to be re-ordered.

Already I've tidied my sewing room, sorted a few drawers, and swept.  Now I'm off to sort out some new projects that can be cut, and some hand sewing.  I think it's going to be a long week!

15 comments:

  1. hopefully it wont be as bad as you think... fingers crossed x

    ReplyDelete
  2. ohhh no :( least u got it to the repair man

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh no...just when you think things are going well. I'll hope for a quick repair

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh know, fingers crossed it comes back asap!! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh NO! Hope it gets repaired soon for you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh bother! That's totally not what I would have said (or am thinking! ) but sometimes it's just best to channel Winnie-the-Pooh.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So sorry to hear about your machine, I hope she's fixed soon and you can get back to quilting your beautiful quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ouch!
    I owe you an email - bare with ...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh no!!!!!! So sorry Di - I feel your pain ;) and hope it gets sorted super quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's a real bummer. Hope that nothing needs to be ordered. Have fun getting your new projects lined up!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I broke two needles yesterday sewing over pins...although my machine isnt terminal. I feel your pain.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oopsie! hope it's not too expensive to sort out

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hope your machine gets well soon.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Late (very late) catching up on blogs but bugger on the needle thing. I've done that and it doesn't half make your heart lurch when it happens.

    ReplyDelete