15 June 2013

Le Challenge

Le Challenge


It's been so exciting round these parts I completely forgot about revealing my Le Challenge make this month.

Firstly I went to get my machine re-repaired yesterday.  I've not tried it out yet, but it worked OK in the shop.

Secondly, yesterday was a red letter day here chez quiltova.  We were finally connected to the main drains!  Yes, that is VERY exciting.  If you live with a septic tank, you will appreciate just how brilliant it is! I could talk about it for hours, but you have to be a septic tank owner too, otherwise you will drop off to sleep! And I know, all you non septic owners will think this very sad.  Never mind!

On to my make for the maritime theme of this months Le Challenge.   Now I'm not really a Hello sailor sort of girl, nor do I really do blue and white, so I was struggling a bit.  Then I found this block




It's called The Marines Star and  appears in Quilters Cache and is made by Michelle.  Obviously it's patriotic in red white and blue, but not really my colours.  So I dug out some pinks and greens that will go with the colour scheme in our lounge, and made my own Marine's Star


I like the back side of a paper pieced block - it looks so tidy!


And I've got a nice bit of Modern Meadow put aside for the back

Sunflower in Berry

As you can see, I haven't actually finished making it into a cushion yet, so I don't know if Lucy and Nat will allow it, but I have a good excuse.  When I go to the Fat Quarterly Retreat next month, I am taking Mandy's hand quilting class, and I shall be taking this with me to work on.

Why not hop over to Le Challenge to see what everyone else has been making.  There's all sorts of different things.






23 comments:

  1. I like the tiny pinwheel in the middle. Nice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love everything about paper piecing, and I love the colours you've chosen for your block.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks great, perfect for Mandy's class xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. dont you just LOVE the crisp points that paper piecing gives xx YAY! mains drainsxx I dont have a septic tank ... but our neibours had a problem with their drains and the Water Board cut us off for 2 AWFUL days ... make s you VERY apprieciative !! lol x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice block and I love the color combo. I bet it will look amazing with the hand quilting you plan on doing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the colour choice for your star.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's beautiful, and a very clever play on the theme! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks beautiful, much prefer the colours you've gone for! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is a beautifully finished paper pieced block! ;)
    Love the colour choices and it'll be even more fab with some hand quilting!
    Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like your color choices! Very cute.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's very pretty. I wonder how it would look if one were to sew the squares in reverse with the longest pointy triangles sewn together in the middle.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fabulous block and I love your colours

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely block. Congrats on the drains.!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great block, beautifully pieced.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love this block - beautiful piecing!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Im always amazed by how fabric choices can totally change the look of a block and this is a great example. From red,whites and blues to soft florals- it barely looks like the same pattern.

    Love what you've accomplished.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I really like the colors choices for this block, and also the fabric used for the backing.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love your fabric choices It is a finished block! so it is in! Thanks for participating!

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is such a great block and it looks beautiful in the colours you've used. It'll make the most beautiful cushion.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Way to make it your own! You took the inspiration and made something you're happy with. Great job and this block is exactly why I love paper piecing! So neat and tidy and pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Congratulations on the main drain connection! I know what that's like. I remember when my in-laws were finally connected.
    Your maritime project is looking great.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Your star is really pretty! Very intricate piecing in there. I understand septic talk. In Australian country towns most of us have our own septics and whilst that does required us to pay for own maintenance, at least if it needs fixing it gets done. I used to live in a town with a common effluent system. When it was bubbling out of the inspection holes in front of my house on the footpath the council tried to claim it was my responsibility to get it fixed! Uh uh, buddy, you might actually have to maintain your own pipes. Hope all goes well with your council for you!

    ReplyDelete
  23. The back side of paper piecing always makes me smile :o) As for the septic tank, I know more about the licencing of them than is good for me, but I've never had one...

    ReplyDelete