13 July 2013

The first time is always the best

 

We're talking bee quilts here of course.  At long last my Stitch Tease Bee is finished.

In February 2012 I sent off this block to Hadley

 


and 12 months later, she sent me a quilt top made by the 8 talented ladies of the Stitch Tease Bee.  You can read all about that here.

 
Since beginning this bee, we have changed our bed for one that is quite a bit bigger, so the original quilt size didn't cover the new bed.   That meant I had to add  quite a sizeable border, which I was worried might look a bit odd.  But needs must, so I added a small border of outward flying geese and a 8 inch white border.

A great tip for basting by the way.  Wait for a friend to visit for the weekend, and whilst they can't get away until you take them to the airport, get them to help you baste your quilt!  It only cost a few glasses of wine!

I quilted it with an all over meander, because that's about all I can do!  I did toy with the idea of hand quilting it, but maybe a quilt this size isn't a good choice for your first hand quilting project!  It wasn't without it's traumas (broken machine, a million broken needles, tension problems, sore hands and shouldrs) but it looks beautiful now.  Because the quilt is now much larger than originally planned, the backing I bought didn't fit, so I went out to Ikea and chose the fabric you can see below, which is just the right sort of chalky colours


Don't you think a very special quilt needs a very special photo shoot?  And someone who can take good photos?  Our friend Rob, who was here last weekend, is a pretty good photographer, so we went off to the chateau in the early evening to snap a few shots













We got a  few odd looks, and the quilt got pretty dirty, but I think it was worth it.

And here's one shot of it in it's final resting place (not so good - I took it!)



The only shot that is missing is the one with Ted on our rocking chair in the garden.  I will take one, but it's on the bed now, with Gordon fast asleep under it.  I don't think I'd win many Brownie points by whipping it off now, just to take a photo!

So thanks to all my Stitch Bee friends for making such a beautiful quilt for me.  It will always hold a place in my heart, being my first!

And would you believe it it is already my month in the second round of Stitch Tease.  But more of that later

7 comments:

  1. The quilt is stunning, Di! I love all the pin wheels and the flying geese border. A very special quilt indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Di - I just saw this on flickr and had to rush straight over and comment. I can't tell you how much I love this quilt - it's so so beautiful. The outward flying geese look amazing and have proved me completely wrong and your quilting is amazing. So proud to play a small part in this big quilt and to be with you and the other amazing ladies in Stitch Tease. Don't ever invite me in your house...especially if I have a large bag...just sayin' ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is amazing! Certainly a keeper **smiles**

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's lovely, and the photos show it off beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great finish! Nice pictures too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It really turned out wonderfully Di! I actually think the border really makes it - so it was a good thing you bought that new bed!!

    ReplyDelete